Random drop. Help diagnosing

I was playing elite last night and the counter randomly switched off. No bsod. Not shutdown message. Just poof...

Now I'm not massively concerned just yet. But I'm always on the look out for symptoms of larger problems. The GPU is a heatsink modified 290x (kraken adapter for the Corsair water cooler) and the CPU is a watercooled i7. No recent hardware changes and no past of issues. It's not a new build so this could be just age. But with the recent windows update, I'm not ruling anything out.

Anyone have any ideas at this point, or am i just talking nonsense and i shouldn't worry?

Sent from my Swift 2 using Tapatalk
    "Forewarned is forearmed"

I had a BSOD the other night after disconnecting my Oculus HDMI and the darn pc won't boot now, Windows 10 is undiagnosable and unfixable in the event of medium level issues.

If you rebooted ok and still work in game, be happy!
    Cheers, Bert

Well just to be sure I dismantled my GPU and reapplied some thermal paste. Seems to have dropped about 10 degrees off the mean temperature. Seems to be alright now.

Sent from my Swift 2 using Tapatalk
    "Forewarned is forearmed"

Quote Originally Posted by albert View Post
    I had a BSOD the other night after disconnecting my Oculus HDMI and the darn pc won't boot now, Windows 10 is undiagnosable and unfixable in the event of medium level issues.

Also suffering from a BSOD on W10 after I took my machine away for a day. Seems to be a similar issue to yours Albert, except mine duel boots with ubuntu and that's working fine.

I'm resigned to re-installing w10 but it will have to wait until after I've moved house in 3 weeks. :/

What I don't get is there must be system files I can replace to get this going again or rebuild the boot sector or something. It doesn't make sense that simple removing a device causes an endless repesting boot loop that not recovery tools can fix. Not happy.

Sent from my LG-H962 using Tapatalk
    Cheers, Bert

Quote Originally Posted by albert View Post

if it makes you feel better,my asus nf55s started the same thing after the latest update unfixable by windows ,reinstalling now,maybe a laptop thing?

PS that was after a random BSOD as well. Its never had one in 5 years!

I came into this world with nothing,
    through careful management I've got most of it left.

I feel no better! It's just stupid, every support page says reinstall. I keep minimal data on the OS drive but it does tend to collect things like game saves in the user documents folder and things like screen colour profiles, network optimisation, voice attack settings etc. I should really backup the user profile as well as the full OS drive. I am a month out of date with my OS backup and I've done a lot of change config work since then.

Hate this sort of thing.
    Cheers, Bert

I fixed my issue, stayed calm, took my time and went through the problem from start to finish.

I decided to disable the ASMedia USB 3.0 Controller in the BIOS. Windows booted. So I was left with 2 USB3 ports inoperable. I uninstalled the existing drivers, which were ASUS not MS origin, then uninstalled the device. Re-enabled in BIOS and the PC booted and auto installed the MS drives for the ASMedia controller.

Nasty drivers. I also believe since I have USB legacy support enabled soon after boot in order to control the BIOS GUI, that made everything stop at the initial Kernel load level.

Anyways, I have a few ideas now if anyone else has BSOD looping.

Cheers,

Bert

Blog Entries
    Nice one Albert, glad you're back in the swing!
    TL.
    Wisdom doesn't necessarily come with age. Sometimes age just shows up all by itself. (Tom Wilson)
    Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships. (Michael Jordan)

Thread Information