PDA

View Full Version : LFS demo server

Doorman
20th November 2008, 12:29 PM
There is, up and running and ably administered by Ben (o000o) Look for:
Dead Men Racing D in the server list. It might be a nice idea if regular members dropped on to bulk it out a bit until it becomes established as "The Place To Race". :bigidea: I think I've found a new slogan. :D

Gnomie
20th November 2008, 01:17 PM
Poor Ben.. he's got his work cut out for him! :D Admin of a demo server.. what did he do to deserve this?

On a more serious note.. I think this is a great idea! There are so many crappy demo servers out there, and I think there's a lot of people looking for a proper racing server. Who knows, maybe we can even convince some of them to buy S2 and get into the real stuff! :)

vobler
20th November 2008, 02:10 PM
"The Place To Race". :bigidea: I think I've found a new slogan. :D

I think you have. This got to be on our server connection pages etc.
:clap:

Doorman
20th November 2008, 02:18 PM
Poor Ben.. he's got his work cut out for him! :D Admin of a demo server.. what did he do to deserve this?
He volunteered. Obviously never been in the forces! :)

On a more serious note.. I think this is a great idea! There are so many crappy demo servers out there, and I think there's a lot of people looking for a proper racing server. Who knows, maybe we can even convince some of them to buy S2 and get into the real stuff! :)
Catch them young eh? :norty:

obsolum
20th November 2008, 02:46 PM
Now I know where to go if I feel like some XFG on BL1 :)

delankster
20th November 2008, 05:37 PM
It might be a nice idea if regular members dropped on to bulk it out a bit :D

wroger :thumbsup2:

obsolum
20th November 2008, 07:01 PM
Doorz, going onto the demo server earlier tonight I realized that I haven't got a XFG skin yet :flirty:

Doorman
20th November 2008, 09:48 PM
Doorz, going onto the demo server earlier tonight I realized that I haven't got a XFG skin yet :flirty:
OMG! :blink: I have it on order. :)

obsolum
23rd November 2008, 02:26 PM
Right, had a few races there today. Some regulars of the S2 server dropped by as well.

I'd like to submit one guy for sanctioning, though. I don't know what the policy is, if there are different sanctions depending on the severity of the infractions or something.

Replay here (http://users.telenet.be/obsolum/OCS_storage/GRKJ3T lap 5 pitlane.mpr). GRKJ3T (username too0002) thought it was funny to drive into the back of my car while I'm doing my drive-through penalty on the last lap. I didn't think it so funny :) I saw him coming a long way off and tried to move out of his way, but he was clearly intent on hitting me and there was nothing I could do :sad:

Lameduck
23rd November 2008, 02:49 PM
I tried to view the replay, but had a repeated "unexpected end of file" error.

Normally we would warn the miscreant and if he continued to mis-behave, kick him and if he came back and did it again, impose a ban.

I checked this guy out on LFS Desktop and it was his first day with LFS with a total distance of 33miles!

Aquilifer
23rd November 2008, 03:31 PM
...GRKJ3T (username too0002) ...

Maybe that is his second account as the first one got permanently banned from the whole LFS? Did you check what it says about "too0001"? :g:

obsolum
23rd November 2008, 04:11 PM
I tried to view the replay, but had a repeated "unexpected end of file" error.

Normally we would warn the miscreant and if he continued to mis-behave, kick him and if he came back and did it again, impose a ban.

I checked this guy out on LFS Desktop and it was his first day with LFS with a total distance of 33miles!
Odd, I can view the replay just fine.

Anyway, you're right that this was his first day on LFS. I noticed it too, afterwards. So maybe I should cut him some slack. I'm just not very tolerant when it comes to those things :) I've grown accustomed to the level and quality of racing we have on the S2 server eh :flirty:

Scratchy just said on Vent that the idea with the demo server is to be a bit more lenient. I suppose that makes sense. I'll try and remember that in the future.

Aquilifer
23rd November 2008, 05:30 PM
I was thinking it might be useful to put the demo server under remote control. So even if you don't have time to join in person you can be "the eye in the sky" and if you see somebody camping in the race line or going 200mph at the back straight you launch the wrath of gods in the form of a banhammer.

Jamin
23rd November 2008, 05:42 PM
Replay worked for me, too0002 banned for 999 days. He was just crashing into anyone he could get near.

Jamin
23rd November 2008, 06:09 PM
The demo server by it's nature will have new racers in there so tolerance is needed with them, wreckers make themselves obvious by their behaviour and as yet there isn't a non admin method to deal with them.

When the server gets more established and we start to get a regular crowd in there, I can turn on the kick/ban function for users but until then you'll have to see it as a challenge to dodge them, it can be fun :D

Doorman
23rd November 2008, 06:48 PM
:withstupid:

Aquilifer
23rd November 2008, 07:07 PM
If you allow admin control in the remote viewer (the insim relay thingie in lfsworld) you can do what ever you like with admin commands. I see no harm if you see some clearly 'criminal' activity (not just some noobie who brakes 50m too late) and there are no admins in the server currently.

I don't know the current status of demo servers, but back in times people could hijack servers which were currently not under admin supervision with large groups. So voting did not work and besides many voters either 1) always pressed vote even if they had no idea what the heck had happened or 2) never voted no matter what happened.

But whatever...thank god I'm not admining it.

Jamin
23rd November 2008, 07:54 PM
Aquilifer, can you let me know how to do admin from the remote viewer, I'm going to use my netbook to keep an eye on the server when I'm not in there.

If the ban option is on then two tards could sit in there vote banning joiners. Otherwise I don't mind being admin, I asked for it :D

Doorman
23rd November 2008, 08:56 PM
Aquilifer, can you let me know how to do admin from the remote viewer, I'm going to use my netbook to keep an eye on the server when I'm not in there.

If the ban option is on then two tards could sit in there vote banning joiners. Otherwise I don't mind being admin, I asked for it :D
There is no voting allowed and no restart voting withing 300 seconds of a start/finish.

Aquilifer
23rd November 2008, 09:22 PM
Can't remember if you have buttons to ban/kick people then, but the admin commands work in the normal way. So after logging as admin into the viewer, then just type the commands into the chat box same way as if you were in there.

iirc:
/kick <name>
/ban <name> <time>
/spec <name>

Jamin
23rd November 2008, 09:52 PM
Thx Aquilifer, I get "host not found" so the insim isn't setup for remote viewing. It's not important that it is at the moment though.

Doorman
23rd November 2008, 10:11 PM
Thx Aquilifer, I get "host not found" so the insim isn't setup for remote viewing. It's not important that it is at the moment though.
That's because it isn't enabled. I tried to get it going but I've yet to find out the port it's on. I'll be back.

Doorman
23rd November 2008, 10:28 PM
That's because it isn't enabled. I tried to get it going but I've yet to find out the port it's on. I'll be back.

The demo server is now available via insim. Shout me if it goes offline. It needs kicking into action every so often.

Jamin
23rd November 2008, 10:40 PM
:D works a treat, thankies.

obsolum
24th November 2008, 01:12 PM
The demo server is now available via insim. Shout me if it goes offline. It needs kicking into action every so often.
It appears to have gone offline :) Not that it matters as there's probably nobody on, just letting you know :)

OldBloke
24th November 2008, 01:55 PM
It appears to have gone offline :) Not that it matters as there's probably nobody on, just letting you know :)

My fault. I've moved it onto a different server this morning and I'm waiting on the firewall to be configured for it.

Doorman
24th November 2008, 03:27 PM
All has been restored to the normal tranquility that is dMr. :)

OldBloke
25th November 2008, 07:34 PM
Web status of our Demo server is now available. Simply use the link on our main server page (http://lfs.deadmen.co.uk/lfs/) to flip between the two.

Doorman
25th November 2008, 07:37 PM
Web status of our Demo server is now available. Simply use the link on our main server page (http://lfs.deadmen.co.uk/lfs/) to flip between the two.
You are a star! Marvelous, I didn't expect anything quite so smooth. :)

Doorman
29th November 2008, 03:46 PM
I've enabled the anti short cutting of the chicane at BL1. Anyone nipping through behind the barriers will now be spectated. :norty:

Jamin
29th November 2008, 04:24 PM
Thankies :D

Aquilifer
29th November 2008, 04:32 PM
I've enabled the anti short cutting of the chicane at BL1. Anyone nipping through behind the barriers will now be spectated. :norty:

If you have used the autocross objects, then you have also enabled the anti-demodriver system too :doh:

obsolum
29th November 2008, 05:33 PM
If you have used the autocross objects, then you have also enabled the anti-demodriver system too :doh:
Come on now, give Doorz some credit! Don't you think he knows that? :) He's done it this way (http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=47907&highlight=cutting).

Doorman
29th November 2008, 05:45 PM
And, smarty pants, you can't use autox objects on the demo. :narnar:

Aquilifer
29th November 2008, 06:27 PM
Come on now, give Doorz some credit! Don't you think he knows that? :) He's done it this way (http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=47907&highlight=cutting).

How do I know what he knows. I didn't even know that I didn't know that he knows. I was using conditional and so leaving an chance that I didn't know that I don't know that he knows.

Besides I wasn't aware of that system.

And, smarty pants, you can't use autox objects on the demo.

Ever thought why I even posted the comment in the first place? Could it have anyhing to do with that?... naah can't be. :g:

Doorman
29th November 2008, 07:33 PM
How do I know what he knows. I didn't even know that I didn't know that he knows. I was using conditional and so leaving an chance that I didn't know that I don't know that he knows.

Besides I wasn't aware of that system.

Ever thought why I even posted the comment in the first place? Could it have anyhing to do with that?... naah can't be. :g:
:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao: Is that worth another one? Yeah, I think so. :roflmao:

obsolum
2nd January 2009, 05:40 PM
Both the Demo server as the S2 server seem to be offline in Remote Viewer.

6 people on Demo btw, too bad I can't join for a few races :sad:

Doorman
2nd January 2009, 08:58 PM
Both the Demo server as the S2 server seem to be offline in Remote Viewer.

6 people on Demo btw, too bad I can't join for a few races :sad:
I'm on it.:)

Sorted.

obsolum
7th January 2009, 10:21 PM
I just wanted to say that we've had some great racing on the Demo server tonight. There was a pretty good crowd on. Thanks to everyone who made it happen. I enjoyed it :)

Jamin
7th January 2009, 10:32 PM
Yeah, cracking nights racing :D

For the rest of the dMw community, the demo is here: http://www.lfs.net/ if you want to see what fun dMr is.

Doorman
7th January 2009, 10:37 PM
Go Ben!

b00n
7th January 2009, 11:32 PM
Yeah, cracking nights racing :D

For the rest of the dMw community, the demo is here: http://www.lfs.net/ if you want to see what fun dMr is.

I must admit my interest is piqued. I assume a wheel and pedals are a necessity though?

Jamin
8th January 2009, 12:47 AM
Nope, you can use the keyboard or/and mouse, it's just as fast (eventually), a wheel is what you drive a car with so feels the most natural.

Download and try offline first though so you get the feel for it before venturing online. Our demo server is called "Dead men racing d" and if one of us or someone called lol (me incognito) is on, let us know and we'll help you to stop crashing into things :D

Mille Sabords
8th January 2009, 07:11 AM
Good fun last night, until I lost all connections.

Thanks all who raced, clean and fair as usual.
Some of you should try the XRG though :)

obsolum
8th January 2009, 09:31 AM
and if one of us or someone called lol (me incognito)
Oh you tit! And all the while I was thinking "hmm, this guy is really good... clean racer, too!" :lmfao:

Good fun last night, until I lost all connections.
Yeah, that was a shame. I was hard on your tail about to make my move at the end of the straight when you just vanished :sad:

Some of you should try the XRG though :)
I usually drive the XRG when I'm on the demo server. I'm slower in it but it makes for a better challenge with some not so fast demo drivers on. I had no chance against lol though - who I just found out is actually o000o - so I switched to the XFG :)