PDA

View Full Version : ...and the surprise is...

Anonymous
13th February 2009, 02:06 PM
Dear dMw Community,

For years the dMw ethos has been centred around teamwork and objectives. Although CoD4 does offer these, it has become evident that the pace of the game makes it very difficult to achieve, and even seasoned dMw members (ourselves included) find it almost impossible to sustain the approprite style of gameplay.

The Admins have come up with a plan to slow the game down leading to a better tactical experience, improved teamwork and more enjoyable gaming.

Consequently, we are proud to announce that on Sunday 15th February 2009 we will launch a CoD4 "Crouch Only" server.

Hang on, what is a "Crouch Only" server we hear you ask? Well, it means that when you move you have to be either crouched or prone. You are NOT allowed to walk or run. The initial set of server rules will be:

No running unless under air attack (helos and aircraft) or a grenade lands near you.
You MUST crouch or go prone to move.
Standing is allowed (to see or fire over things) but you musn't stand and move (ie no walking with sights up to eyes)
No Martyr
No Last Stand
No Rockets/Bazookas
No Grenade Launchers
No spawn kills - if someone spawns in front of you try to give each other a chance (difficult this one as it will happen but try to play the game)

Initially, the server will be password protected (same PW as the Private server) and all of these rules will require your co-operation but if the idea is successful then we would look to using PAM mod to help enforce the rules.

The server will appear on 77.108.129.47:28962 on Sunday - you may see it before that but we will be testing - and it will be running TDM (Team Deathmatch) as that mode seems to fit best - as we gain experience we will add in other modes if needed.

Finally, we should point out that this isn't our original idea but was seen on another clan's CoD5 server and, when tried, was found to be thoroughly enjoyable. We hope you like it and that it brings back those players who felt that CoD4 was too "run and gun" for our style.

See you on Sunday guys

The Admins

Zootoxin
13th February 2009, 02:13 PM
Sounds interesting and I will be there for the testing stage.

How about cancelling Chopper and airstrikes all together then there is no need to run?

spudgun55
13th February 2009, 02:20 PM
Your a bit early april fools is next month!!!!:roflmao:

Dear dMw Community,

For years the dMw ethos has been centred around teamwork and objectives. Although CoD4 does offer these, it has become evident that the pace of the game makes it very difficult to achieve, and even seasoned dMw members (ourselves included) find it almost impossible to sustain the approprite style of gameplay.

The Admins have come up with a plan to slow the game down leading to a better tactical experience, improved teamwork and more enjoyable gaming.

Consequently, we are proud to announce that on Sunday 15th February 2009 we will launch a CoD4 "Crouch Only" server.

Hang on, what is a "Crouch Only" server we hear you ask? Well, it means that when you move you have to be either crouched or prone. You are NOT allowed to walk or run. The initial set of server rules will be:

No running unless under air attack (helos and aircraft) or a grenade lands near you.
Standing is allowed (to see or fire over things) but you musn't stand and move (ie no walking with sights up to eyes)
No Martyr
No Last Stand
No Rockets/Bazookas
No Grenade Launchers
No spawn kills - if someone spawns in front of you try to give each other a chance (difficult this one as it will happen but try to play the game)

Initially, the server will be password protected (same PW as the Private server) and all of these rules will require your co-operation but if the idea is successful then we would look to using PAM mod to help enforce the rules.

The server will appear on 77.108.129.47:28962 on Sunday - you may see it before that but we will be testing - and it will be running TDM (Team Deathmatch) as that mode seems to fit best - as we gain experience we will add in other modes if needed.

Finally, we should point out that this isn't our original idea but was seen on another clan's CoD5 server and, when tried, was found to be thoroughly enjoyable. We hope you like it and that it brings back those players who felt that CoD4 was too "run and gun" for our style.

See you on Sunday guys

The Admins

lionheart
13th February 2009, 02:21 PM
I reckon we should call the server "Peter".

TE_owner
13th February 2009, 02:32 PM
:blink: umm cant say i agree with u there

Anonymous
13th February 2009, 02:36 PM

Can you try and be a bit more constructive? Why not? What aspects don't you like? Just saying you disagree doesn't help us provide a better experience.

DuVeL
13th February 2009, 02:44 PM
Have fun guys, I'm off skiing then.

delankster
13th February 2009, 02:46 PM
personally i can't see it helping our cause on the ed ladder matches
but if it improves the whole gameplay experience and gets more dmw's playing then i'm all for it.

one question thou: how is it enforced ?

TE_owner
13th February 2009, 02:47 PM
well it would be bad for shotguns and p90 ak74 that sort of thing but i will give it a go

Lexander
13th February 2009, 02:49 PM
Sounds interesting concept, but I'm a bit worried about:
- A sniper with claymores, UAV jammer and silencer + the silence walking, these kind of players are really hard to kill even now and they might be impossible to kill in the new mode.

What kind maps would there be ? as some are so long even running annoys, can't imagine the frustration of proning the whole map and then being killed :D

These are just initial thoughs, need to test it out and see how it works.
On a side note if you want slower game, why not make the spawn time like 30sec and the bomb timer like 2 minutes. That would require team work and planning to get it defused. And as being said many times with 4vs4 it is fine in every way; comms, amount of people, speed. But with 8vs8 and fast spawn times only way to win is run and kill people fast.

Zootoxin
13th February 2009, 02:53 PM

I think its far to early to pass judgement.

Lets give it a try before we shoot it down

One question though - Are we trying to replace CSS with COD4 or just trying to add an extra element to COD4

Dr Sadako
13th February 2009, 02:54 PM
Well, I am not sure about this. I will try it out to give it a honest go. However, there are a lot of restrictions. It almost seems like it would be easier to go for a game that has those settings to begin with e.g. Ghost Recon which is a more slowpaced game.

I think the biggest (only even) problem with CoD4 in TCoD mode is the standard maps. I have said it before and here it comes again. Create a custom maps server and the problem is solved. All of the CoD4 maps are tactically sub par any CS standard map as they are made for singleplayer and not multiplayer to begin with. It is like playing CS on HL levels ... it is possible but it doesn't work well. I think it would be a much easier solution anyway.

My five,

T-Bag
13th February 2009, 04:48 PM
I'll try it out, but don't think it will have the desired effect. My thoughts are people will get caught a lot by dug in players at corners etc and the game will slowly desend to either grenade-ville or camp-central.

Anonymous
13th February 2009, 05:17 PM
I've been playing this on a C0D5 server for several weeks now. I sometimes pick sniper loadouts but as often pick something else. Snipers arent a problem, you work round them; I've even knifed a few :devil:

KKND
13th February 2009, 05:53 PM
It has also some positive points this server.
As for my a completely newbie in this game.

When i join some off you into a game off COD4,i really dont know what too do.:g:
I dont see the difference between my team ore the enemy.
(No i dont need glasses im just new into this game).
I got shoot from all sides,and then im asking myself where's that came from,cos i dont know the game.

So with this server you can (atleast me) learn the ins and outs off the game.
I think it's a great opportunity for new ones to learn a bit off the game.

Just my point few.:)

Snokio
13th February 2009, 06:35 PM
I think this 'mode' with give alot more in terms of tactical team play, i for one like to let my team mates know where i am verbally, and wish others would also tell me to avoid accidental TK's, but sometimes it's difficult and fustrating because of it's fast paced nature which isn't very realistic.

Hopefully this will also stop some of the fragging at the same time

I dont see this as a replacement for CSS myself nor do i think any of the other admins do either. (to answer Zootoxin question above)

Anonymous
13th February 2009, 06:40 PM
I dont see this as a replacement for CSS though myself.

None of us do. We see it as a development of CoD in the way that TCS (and before that PCS) was a development of CS to make it more team and objective based rather than a fraghunt to see who has the highest score. The idea is for the TEAM to win not the individual!

Snokio
13th February 2009, 06:49 PM
edited my post :doh:

smilodon
13th February 2009, 07:35 PM
I'll add a little perspective as a non CoD4 player. I fell in love with CS because I was playing TCS. The addition of a few extra rules changed the game from a great online FPS to a masterpiece IMHO. At the moment my limited experience of CoD4 is... why would I want to play this game instead of CS.... or as well as CS? It has better graphics and err hmmmm? I've no idea.

dMw is all about playing games as a community. It's about adding an extra team focus to a game. That makes the game better. So what's different about CoD4 here on our servers and CoD4 anywhere else where they have active admins keeping order? Clearly lots of you like CoD4 and you like playing with your mates. And that's fine.

I think most people would agree that the simple addition of a few 'no entry signs' on the CS maps transfored that game. If we can find something similar for CoD4 we'll have a winner. I'm sure a lot of people say there's nothing wrong with CoD4. It's a great game. But then again there are a lot of us who tried it and thought it's just fast paced mayhem with no real plan for anyone. Just run about and whoever can shoot straightest will win. Probably not fair but I still argue where's the killer feature of CoD4 that will make is as tactical and team based as TCS?

We strive to be an inclusive community where we can all play the game we support with a team ethic.
At the moment we have WOW which for raiders is 100% team based. It's impossible to raid without teamwork.
We have TCS which due to it's simple rule-set compells us to play as teams.
We have racing which is a different experience but racers still play in a style that makes the racing a great community based game.
And we have L4D which Valve designed from the ground up to be team based. No teamwork and you'll fail every time.

So the question is what does CoD4 have to make it a compelling team based game where to win players need to work together to achieve their goals and where running off on a solo killing spree is the kiss of death for your side?

Whether it's creepy mode or better maps or whatever, I think like CS it needs that dMw touch to turn it from a fine game into a great TEAM experience.

Thankyou, you've been a great audience and I'm here all week :)

DaRkLiGhTeR
13th February 2009, 08:11 PM
As i play on the xbox my experience may be a little different but this kind of gameplay would limit the use of smgs and shotguns as said above but if you want it to be more tactical why dont you put the server onto search and destory and do the same as was done for cs, limit where the player can go. If i play search on the xbox a lot of people rush but i use tactics i learnt by playing css with dmw which ultimately means i usually win... that and the complete silence loadout helps

b00n
13th February 2009, 10:01 PM
It has also some positive points this server.
As for my a completely newbie in this game.

When i join some off you into a game off COD4,i really dont know what too do.:g:
I dont see the difference between my team ore the enemy.
(No i dont need glasses im just new into this game).
I got shoot from all sides,and then im asking myself where's that came from,cos i dont know the game.

So with this server you can (atleast me) learn the ins and outs off the game.
I think it's a great opportunity for new ones to learn a bit off the game.

Just my point few.:)

I don't think that'll be the case at all, if anything I think you'd be getting shot from unseen places even more when everyone is all creeping around.

I agree with Darklighter, the only truly tactical game mode in CoD4 is S&D. Take that and add boundaries as in the CSS servers, and we'll have the joy of TCS in TCoD. :)

Other than that, I can't see a good way to force tactical elements into CoD4's gameplay. The crouch only thing might make combat more realistic, and some servers aim for realism which is fine, but my understanding is that going for realism is not one of the aims of our tactical play - TCS could hardly be called realistic but what it does do is reinforce the importance of objectives (and therefore teamwork). Wouldn't removing sprinting be an adequate measure to slow things down? I can't say moving while standing has ever struck me as a problem, it's the sprint-jump-spray round the corner which kills the game.

(On that note, PAM4 can be used to restrict sprinting I believe)

All the other changes are nice - martyr, last stand, grenade launcher and RPG are horrible to have on our servers. :(

Armitage
13th February 2009, 10:15 PM
b00n you talk a lot of sense. But lets wait until after Sunday night to see if it works or not.

Dewey
13th February 2009, 11:09 PM
Ok, I have to ask why?

Why do we need these extra layer of abstract rules? I wasn't aware that a large number of people didn't like COD4, infact it seems to have grown in popularity what with the ED ladder and in house league... And who are you making it more enjoyable for? Not me and I never saw a poll asking people if they didn't like it - I'm not trying to be argumentive I'm just trying to understand why a game I enjoy is suddenly going to change and why I haven't heard anyone before now saying they want it to be slower.

It seems to me that we are trying to make a square peg fit a round hole - the game is what it is, my first reaction is this seems like your dumbing it down, with some strange abstract rules.

Lets be clear - teamwork and objectives have nothing to do with the speed of a game. Many games are fast but still rely on tactics and strategy. So when you say its almost impossible to sustain the appropriate style of gameplay - I'm not clear what you mean?

If you want to slow the game down - which is your objective - one sure way is to make the respawn times severe ie your out for a minute. I cant be the only one to have noticed that when a game goes into sudden death mode - the whole game slows down, it becomes slower, people take less risks, use cover better etc.

Currently COD4 is fast paced because getting shot isn't a big deal, your out for 10 seconds coupled with small maps means getting shot is merely a minor inconvienience and doesn't have the impact that getting shot did in say BF2 (where the maps are larger and therefore you where often out of the frontline for longer) or other games where getting shot means your eliminated for the round.

I'm guessing OFP2 and ArmA2 should therefore be right up dMws street - if they are anything like previous incarnations, the fighting is deadly and slower paced.

I know COD4 isn't realistic its certainly not a sim, but many of the propsals are going to make it less enjoyable for me. As it moves even further away from realism or my perception of it ie I can't run (unless I hear an air attack), I can't walk while sighting a weapon, I can't stand and move - it all becomes less enjoyable.

The game is going to be played at a snails pace, its bad enough already that snipers are content to just sit an entire games in their lofty postion, surrounded by claymores and regularly hit a running target. Now your going to effectively stop anyone moving quickly, snipers will have a field day surely? Its difficult enough to get over a street that a sniper has covered, but now you can't even run to avoid them?

Saying all that, I'm open minded enough to try it, I might enjoy it, but I feel I'm going to be worrying more about the additional rules of the game than actually concentrating on enjoying the game.

I'm also surprised that as we've now joined an ED ladder we aren't instead setting up a server with the ED rules on it - that would be far more beneficial - but I guess too fast paced for some?

Just my 2pence worth and sorry if I've offended anyone with my opinions.

Dear dMw Community,

No Martyr
No Last Stand
No Rockets/Bazookas
No Grenade Launchers

See you on Sunday guys

The Admins

lionheart
13th February 2009, 11:39 PM
I must say I agree with what Dewey has said, and will obviously give the new "mod" a go before dismissing it out of hand.

I found the game we played against Boss the other night using the Ed rules to be a slower paced game, that was with instant respawn and on Team Deathmatch which is uaually a fragfest.
As Dewey said, a server set up with these rules would be more beneficial, but lets wait and see.........

Sparko
14th February 2009, 12:06 AM
hmmm....ok i wont "dis" this until i have tried it, the only thing i am concerned with is trusting people not to run ( or myself for that matter :g:), i will be up for the testing anyway, to help out. I presume the large maps will be taken off the rotation though? that would take ages otherwise :P lol :woot2:

Anonymous
14th February 2009, 12:20 AM
There are a hell of a lot of people making negative comments in this thread without having tried what is possible, therefore, I respectively suggest that you wait until we have given this a chance (which WILL be more than a one night test).

Dewey
14th February 2009, 09:23 AM
I guess some of us don't understand why the changes are necessary. But lets give it a go - it might be fun. If we don't like it no harm done :)

There are a hell of a lot of people making negative comments in this thread without having tried what is possible, therefore, I respectively suggest that you wait until we have given this a chance (which WILL be more than a one night test).

smilodon
14th February 2009, 10:25 AM
I guess, and I'm being a devils advocate here so don't beat me up but... :)

dMw community is a place for people to come and enjoy team based games where our focus is on playing tactically as a team. We're the opposite of the public servers where people log in and just do their own solo thing. We don't play or support these solo online games. That's why CS is played with the Tactical element.

CoD4 may be a great game and people may be enjoying it. But why are dMw hosting it and making it a major part of our community if it's simply a game where there is no need for people playing as a team, with no group based tactical element.

Being really brutal it could be argued that we shouldn't be playing CoD4 at all if we can't play it in the dMw spirit. Now before I get flamed to bits I'm not saying for a second that we should think about dropping CoD4. But there is an arguement that says now we have the server capacity then we should be looking for ways to make the game more inclusive for people who are not hard core CoD4 fans.

Maybe "Creepy Cod" is the answer and maybe it is not. Some people have actually played it in that style and it seems to have been well received. Maybe it does need longer spawn times, or some other change. But, and here I go again, in it's current form is it honestly a game that is being played in the dMw spirit? Is it a game that the whole community can get to gether and enjoy in the same way we can enjoy the other games we officially support?

Ducks for cover...

Thulsa Doom
14th February 2009, 01:39 PM
I've played it once at the LAN, and never since.
I'm not keen on it's apparent frantic pace, I just can't keep up and don't always recognise my team from the other. But that's maybe just me.

I'm not keen on the die-respawn game too much, as I think (as someone above did mention) it makes me care less about dying as I'll respawn soon.

I may give it a go if it becomes more team oriented.

delankster
14th February 2009, 02:30 PM
Just had a quick 1v1 with armitage , and tbh i quite enjoyed it.

First off we played broadcast, the pace of the game was painfully slow,
the map felt massive, you could easy go the whole match only seeing each other a few times.
but that might just be due to the fact it was 1v1
Maybe with a few more people on, it would make for a faster game

we switched to killhouse and the speed of the game increased and was more of what i perceived is meant by the new rules.

Takes a little time getting used to not running when under fire but it definately makes for a stealthier game:norty:

So first impressions:
- map rotation will definately need revising
- running when under fire needs some work
- maybe using the pam4 mod would help and assist ed ladder players

Anonymous
14th February 2009, 02:37 PM
So first impressions:
- map rotation will definately need revising
- running when under fire needs some work
- maybe using the pam4 mod would help and assist ed ladder players

Yup - current map rotation was just put in to get us going - this is just an initial trial to see if it worth developing into something more - I know that TCS didn't happen overnight.

As per Dewey's suggestion one of the things we should look at is respawn times.

Great feedback guys, keep it coming.

Anonymous
14th February 2009, 08:23 PM
Password now set to same as that used for private server.

Shall we say about 7:30 on Sunday night for a team play test?

lionheart
14th February 2009, 09:47 PM
I'll be there. :)

Dewey
14th February 2009, 10:52 PM
I'm airsofting tomorrow in Nottingham so doubt my missus will then want me on the pc after I've just arrived home after being out all day but I would like to try it - perhaps Monday night also would be good as thats the regular cod night?

Password now set to same as that used for private server.

Shall we say about 7:30 on Sunday night for a team play test?

R@ng3R
14th February 2009, 11:52 PM
I'll be there to give it a try.

evoxer
15th February 2009, 02:46 PM
Sounds like it could be interesting guys and im more than happy to give support in making it happen.

That said i think after playing upon thousands of public servers before ours that respawn timers / respawn limits are the key. Perhaps we could look at custom maps? anyone got skills in these?

Keep me posted about other test nights as i cant make tonight im required at the DMR wow raid :)

Evo

Dr Sadako
15th February 2009, 04:24 PM
Perhaps we could look at custom maps? anyone got skills in these?

Evo
We have plenty of experience with custom maps from the CS-side and www.fpsbanana.com (http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/games/605) would be a good start to find custom maps.

Gone_Away
15th February 2009, 04:46 PM
I too will give this a shot but I don't necessarily agree with the changes.

This game is great with teamplay and can be fast or slow. I think Dewey's comments on the respawn time are a better alternative as it will naturally slow things down. In addition, I think that some of the rules will be difficult to enforce.

However, I need work on my Sniper so why not?

I don't have cod 5 to use as a reference but some of the maps are quite large and some with open spaces. I wouldn't like to have to have to crawl along as I think it would detract from an already good game.

TE_owner
15th February 2009, 06:09 PM
maybe have sudden death on all the time if makes people move slower better cover choices ect ect :D

Anonymous
15th February 2009, 07:10 PM
migyht be after 8 before I can get on - been out and only just home.

Anonymous
15th February 2009, 09:45 PM
That! was damn good fun. Thank you chaps for a great nights gaming :)

delankster
15th February 2009, 09:50 PM

must agree.... what was all the fuss about again :g:

Bastet
15th February 2009, 09:50 PM

Its a good mode, slows down the game a bit, and makes it a lot more manageable. I enjoyed it a lot more then when i normaly play on the private server. :)

R@ng3R
15th February 2009, 10:04 PM
Superb games tonight guys,thats the way tcod is meant to be played.

Armitage
15th February 2009, 10:08 PM
The Surprise was.... I really enjoyed it. :D

gg's all

Doorman
15th February 2009, 10:20 PM
Dewey? Where's Dewey? :D

Blunt
15th February 2009, 10:21 PM
The Surprise was.... I really enjoyed it. :D

gg's all
I enjoyed it too.
but I was not at all surprised, as playing with fellow dMw'ers is always a pleasure.
However, I have reservations about this if it goes public.
It will be a nightmare to admin for a start; I still have trouble with Rconmax, it's just not instinctive enough.
It would be great if the crouch could be forced, with a sprint limit of say 5 secs in every min. and not being allowed to move at all whilst standing. (If Cod4 had been configured like this from the start it would have been perfect for teamplay)
I don't think we'll be inundated with new members because of this as it will seem too restrictive to most people, however, I will be delighted if we are:)

Dewey
15th February 2009, 10:28 PM
Ok I played for a couple of hours tonight - I stand by what I said, this isn't making a more tactical game, its making a slower game - but I can see why some people enjoy it - so in that respect job done.

I can see the benefits that slowing the game down might attract some players who before might have felt they'd entered into a brainless frag fest - so we might get more dmw people playing it and thats a good thing.

Theres still seems little strategy or tactics save for defend this, they are attacking b etc. Players are moving for the most part as individuals, occaisionally a group move together but seemingly more by accident and not with any regularity. However, perhaps this is to be expected, you guys have been playing CS for a long time and probably use tactics in that game due to your familiarity with it - perhaps it will come in time. I've no problem with it being tactical or not, but lets not mistake a slow pace with tactics - the two can be mutually exclusive and still are for me in this game.

Apologies I can't use my comms due to having to be quiet (so thats my excuse).

A few changes I'd like to see:

no claymores - I can't see how you can have no rpgs, no GL and yet claymores which require infinitely less skill (ie no aiming required/ effectively fire and forget = a skilless kill IMO) than either of those are allowed?

I noticed a few people who where shot (ie dead) where then giving away their assailants positions who had shot them - ie they where deadmen talking. This seems unsporting to me and I was surprised to hear it.

For the guys who set this up just something to bear in mind for the future - I know you had the communitys best intentions at heart but I think you'd have gotten a more positive response from the community (especially those of us who have been playing cod4) if you had discussed these ideas first - people can be resistant to change if they dont' know whats going on/or something happens out the blue.

Overall - I did enjoy it - to me it was almost like a different mode of COD4 like domination or something :) So if you think you won't enjoy it at least give it a go and then decide - anything else would be unfair. And yes I would play it again!

I hope these comments come across as they are intended to be ie constructive.

Dewey
15th February 2009, 10:28 PM
right here matey :)

Dewey? Where's Dewey? :D

Snokio
15th February 2009, 10:30 PM
Great fun tonight, coms were ued to great effect most of the time, although it did go quiet at times :g:, get those coms working guys!

I think this mod works well with most maps as well, although downpour spawnpoints were a little frustrating at times (nothing new there :rolleyes:) which i know there is nothing that can be done about.

Blunt
15th February 2009, 10:45 PM
I agree with all you say except this bit

A few changes I'd like to see:

no claymores - I can't see how you can have no rpgs, no GL and yet claymores which require infinitely less skill (ie no aiming required/ effectively fire and forget = a skilless kill IMO) than either of those are allowed?

There is an art to laying claymores, you have to pick the right spot, and you have to imagine routes that people take and where they will be confident or wary.
Most people will attest that I get alot of claymore kills, yet I hardly ever get caught by one, because I'm looking for them (and i don't have the perk to see them.)

I noticed a few people who where shot (ie dead) where then giving away their assailants positions who had shot them - ie they where deadmen talking. This seems unsporting to me and I was surprised to hear it.

I don't see the problem, it's a die/respawn game.
if you got loads killing you on the right, going for A, then I don't see any problem in telling your dead comrades and the live ones, when you respawn, that A is being attacked/there's a sniper in the 1st floor window etc.

TE_owner
15th February 2009, 10:59 PM
sorry i missed it i was playing DOW soulstorm :doh:

TE_owner
15th February 2009, 11:14 PM
any 1 up for some all night gaming :devil:

Benny
16th February 2009, 09:00 AM
I enjoyed it. I was a big advocate of CoD a while back and was rarely not on in the evening. As with all games things ebb and flow and I've not been on regularly for a while. I'll admit the reason for that, and I've posted this elsewhere, was due to the run and gun, no chat game that appeared to be the current vogue.

Whilst I really did enjoy last night and would play again, I don't think the two styles should be mutually exclusive. I think a few tweaks are necessary for the creepy cod format, but generally it worked well.

On the other side, we clearly have members who thoroughly enjoy the original style and I feel that should be catered for. Another server? That's a tough one, you'll end up with split numbers and everyone loses out. Maybe a creep night?

If possible the only thing that would make the game better would, in my opinion be locking down the sprint to 5 secs with a 90 second cool-down irrespective of loadout. Then you would avoid all the issues of habit etc.

Zootoxin
16th February 2009, 09:48 AM
you'll end up with split numbers and everyone loses out. Maybe a creep night?

I really enjoyed last nights gaming and with a few tweaks the mode could be awesome.

But.....

I get a bad feeling we are aready spreading the clan too thin without splitting the games we already play down the middle.

I know the servers are open to the public but the public rarely conform to our ethos as much as we would like.

Maybe we should think about structure a weekly schedule i.e. COD4 Monday, CSS Tuesday etc etc

then we could all go where the dead men are?

Was last nights gaming so good because the server was stuffed with dead men?

lionheart
16th February 2009, 10:45 AM
I really enjoyed last nights game, I played for 2.5 hours which is not something I normally do so I must of liked it.
Do I like it more then normal mode ? No . But I like it .

As has been said, the players we play with and against really help the enjoyment level of a game, I even TK'd Doorman twice without getting called a "Noob" or worse. Will I play it again? Definately.

There are a few tweaks that need to be considered and maybe the map rotation needs modifying but all in all a big thumbs up. :thumbsup:

Anonymous
16th February 2009, 10:46 AM
As we are active in CoD Ladders then it is imperative that we keep a fairly vanilla flavour of CoD so people don't get rusty.

One suggestion would be to keep the current public server as the only public server and have some version of creepy CoD as the private server; much like we have in CSS with Boomer and Meathook.

The exercise has prompted much discussion and lively debate which is excellent so keep it up, lets hear those ideas?

lionheart
16th February 2009, 01:39 PM
Wouuld it be viable to have a server set up as a match/practice server with the ED config on?

Armitage
16th February 2009, 01:52 PM
we do already. The match server cod4.deadmen.co.uk:28965

Dewey
16th February 2009, 02:39 PM
Well if theres an art to laying claymores (excuse me while I laugh) theres more of an art to shooting someone while they are shooting at you, their is no comparison. Laying claymores is easy, you can do it without being under fire, the right spot is easy, choose a common route or door and forget about it - its hardly mensa stuff is it? :) Admitedly some are better at it than others, but c'mon which is more difficult, laying a claymore or killing someone with an rpg/gl while avoiding being shot at?

I agree with your version blunt, but I think you misunderstood, dead people where telling their live comrades where they had been shot at and where to go and kill them - that doesn't seem fair to me - fair enough tell them when your back in the game but not just after you've been shot and your waiting to respawn.

There is an art to laying claymores, you have to pick the right spot, and you have to imagine routes that people take and where they will be confident or wary.
Most people will attest that I get alot of claymore kills, yet I hardly ever get caught by one, because I'm looking for them (and i don't have the perk to see them.)

if you got loads killing you on the right, going for A, then I don't see any problem in telling your dead comrades and the live ones, when you respawn, that A is being attacked/there's a sniper in the 1st floor window etc.

Anonymous
16th February 2009, 02:45 PM
dead people where telling their live comrades where they had been shot at and where to go and kill them - that doesn't seem fair to me - fair enough tell them when your back in the game but not just after you've been shot and your waiting to respawn.

I didn't think you could do that. I thought VC was blocked when you were dead.

target
16th February 2009, 03:02 PM
But you can do it using team chat....

Doorman
16th February 2009, 03:54 PM
But you can do it using team chat....
I didn't see any of that. :g:

Benny
16th February 2009, 04:14 PM
I think the point is that with the quick respawns, you get shot at bs2, so you respawn and say, "lookout comrades, I just got shot at bs2".

I did it and am guilty. The alternative is you go hunting for that person at that site. Here's the solution, up the dead time. 45 seconds should do it...

Doorman
16th February 2009, 04:26 PM
But surely, if you were a real soldier in real life that got killed by someone from bs2, wouldn't you tell your comrades where you got shot from when you came back to life? I know I would. :flirty:

delankster
16th February 2009, 04:42 PM
wouldn't you tell your comrades where you got shot from when you came back to life? I know I would. :flirty: :roflmao::roflmao:

Snokio
16th February 2009, 06:58 PM

:withstupid:

I have used claymores to great effect and in a very strategic manner, especially when it comes to sudden death, I remember when it was just me and Armitage on downpour and spent some time trying to lure him to my direction as i had planted a claymore which he kindly walked into:flirty: and there are many more situations like that.

and with the game slowed down, you should be able to spot them and avoid them more easily as you wont be running blindly round corners.

The only thing I can say about this is that I am guilty of letting my teammates know where I have been killed from, but only once I have respawned, otherwise I would feel i would of let my teammate down who was sitting right next to me (basically letting him die by not saying anything), not realistic I agree, but niether is respawning :lmfao:

So it is a tricky one, maybe, as already suggested (i believe) have a longer respawn time? :g:

Gone_Away
16th February 2009, 09:20 PM
I did what I said I would and gave it a try.

This style only supports the same creep and hide type of player. Given the fact that you can't sprint across open spaces to find better cover I can't see myself playing this style. It's fine for those that like a slower paced game.

One thing that I saw absolutely nothing of was teamplay. If the changes were supposed to encourage communication and teamplay it has come short on that objective. All I experienced was everyone lurking around sniping each other.

In my opinion this game works well as it is. If you want people to take extra caution then lengthen the respawn time. Other than that the game works fine.

NF

Armitage
16th February 2009, 09:41 PM
It didn't go down as well today. Played it for 2 maps then we switch back to normal.:g:

need to limit the sniper

TE_owner
16th February 2009, 09:42 PM
maybe for some maps but countdown was rubbish but for the smaller map without big spaces it was good. countdown had big spaces which is impossible without sprinting but i enjoyed it except for that

Armitage
16th February 2009, 09:49 PM
the map before also ended in a sniper fest.

Dewey
17th February 2009, 01:18 PM
Looking back at my response to Blunt re Claymores I realise I sounded like a dick - I'm sure your right it is a skill that can be improved - so apologies Blunt (I had to say that as I stepped on a few of Blunts claymores the last few nights *sigh*).

As you've probably guessed I'm not a fan of claymores or Snipers come to think of it - I've always disliked the way Snipers can hide, spot and kill you from so far away that you don't even get a fair chance to shoot back at them man-o-man - its just underhanded witchcraft if you ask me :D My style of play is the opposite, I'm usually at the frontline getting shot ... alot but hey at least the opposition gets the chance to shoot me back because I'm not hiding like a girl.

Another idea to improve this format for me would be to not let snipers use anything but a sniper/pistol - ie they shouldn't be able to pick up other guns or have the perk allowing them to carry an assault rifle etc - for the simple reason that snipers camo is the best in the game and if I was taking the game remotely seriously I'd be using the sniper class as the basis for my loadout as it has superior camo which can be the difference between dying and not. This last paragraph is kinda tongue in cheek :)

Doorman
17th February 2009, 02:06 PM
You have a very good point. How feasible is it to be a sniper one minute and an assault type chappie the next. One or the other. That goes for the other classes as well. One main weapon, grenades and a sidearm...sorry, pistol. Nothing wrong with snipers per se, just decide if that's what you are. :flirty:

Lexander
17th February 2009, 02:09 PM
I think it is unfair that snipers don't get silencer :narnar:

Doorman
17th February 2009, 02:17 PM
They're so far away you wouldn't hear the shot anyway. :narnar::narnar:

delankster
17th February 2009, 03:02 PM
:lmfao: