PDA

View Full Version : Does a bigger hard drive mean faster respawn times?

.DickDastardly.
27th June 2011, 03:03 PM
Title says it all really, i normally am able to spawn from between 5-7 seconds but i notice some people spawn almost stright away.

And I ended up asking them how they did it, they said it was becuase of there hard drives? is this true?

Cheers DD

Tutonic
27th June 2011, 03:07 PM
Nope, complete and utter tosh.

Its a server variable, and has nothing to do with the hardware in your PC.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

TE_owner
27th June 2011, 06:22 PM
wot he said gov'

Naldo
27th June 2011, 06:37 PM
It's weird you know, as I would say 95% of the time I am always the first to spawn on a new map.
Sometimes waiting for my team to spawn so I can take off in the copper.

Don't know why.

DrunkenZombiee
27th June 2011, 06:47 PM
If you have a fast SSD then you will load the map faster than someone who has a 5400 RPM HDD as information such as textures etc need to be loaded into RAM.

It also depends on your computers architecture as the new i7's have a better interface between the CPU, RAM and GPU and more cache than older chips.

These two points only apply when loading the map for the first time and not when re-spawning after your first death. Your Baud-width and latency of your connection will be another important determining factor.

The in game timer will not be effected by any of these as it will use the CPU cycles of the server to determine when you spawn.

Hope this helps to clarify.

DZ

T-Bag
27th June 2011, 07:19 PM
The size of your hard drive has no impact on spawning. If you have a FAST hard drive you might load maps slightly faster, but the size has no impact (unless you're so short of space your computer is bogging down). After the initial spawn everyone is on level pegging. There's no further loading required so hardware has no effect.

KKND
27th June 2011, 07:27 PM
Maybe your connection helps a bit!

.DickDastardly.
27th June 2011, 07:54 PM
It's weird you know, as I would say 95% of the time I am always the first to spawn on a new map.
Sometimes waiting for my team to spawn so I can take off in the copper.

Don't know why.

Shrug* dunno buddy i also have a ping of between 150-200 for 5-10 seconds at the start of a new map when i spawn

ArithonUK
28th June 2011, 09:51 AM
Dick, I practically laughed my arse off! The tears are still streaming down my face.

No, is the answer.

In BF:BC2 Spawning is on a timer. On our server 10 seconds I think. This cycles round and every time it hits zero, everyone dead gets the chance to respawn or stay in limbo. The counter resets to 10 seconds and cycles again.

Does that answer your question?

The size of your HD is irrelevant. It's access speed that's a factor when loading a new map, however that is also balanced by CPU, GPU, GPU, RAM and Motherboard speeds. You could have the largest and fastest SSD drive in the world on a 1GB netbook and it would still barely run most games. Removing one bottle-neck for perfomance, still leaves all the others there.

.DickDastardly.
28th June 2011, 11:57 AM
Not really because that would mean everyone spawns at the same time at the start i dont know if its the case of them loading up the map quicker than me enableing them to spawn faster then?

TwoBad
28th June 2011, 12:20 PM
Not really because that would mean everyone spawns at the same time at the start...
Yes but only if we all have the same rig, running the same setting, with the same internet connection etc etc.

I will quite often see ppl running about at the start of the map and i still have 2 or 3 seconds on my counter but that has a lot to do with me running eyefinity. If i turn that off it don't happen (so much).

Take a look at this BFBC2 Some New Tweaks Some Not So NEW (http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=488637&mpage=1), might help you.

ArithonUK
28th June 2011, 02:56 PM
Not really because that would mean everyone spawns at the same time at the start i dont know if its the case of them loading up the map quicker than me enableing them to spawn faster then?

If everyone had the same speed computer and internet connection, they would. However, slower PC's (disk speed, CPU, GPU, RAM) take longer to start a new map and hit the respawn cycle at different times. People (like TwoBad) with mega-super-massive video setups, take longer to load textures to video memory, so a slower PC with less demanding video requirements (i.e. 1204x768 res) would jump in faster. Other factors can be video drivers. Some ATI Drivers were slower at loading than others, as the driver software is a hurdle between the game and your hardware.

What spec. do you have? Are you running Win7/Vista? If so, look at your Performance Index in "Computer->Properties" as this will show you which hardware on your PC is the bottleneck.

.DickDastardly.
28th June 2011, 03:03 PM
It doesnt bother me I Just wanted a bit of info about it out of morbid courisity but here are my specs

AMD Phenon(tm) 2 x2 545 processor 2.99Ghz
4gb Ram (3.12 Useable)
Radeon HD 5850 graphics
OCZ 500W PSU
300gb Hard drive

DrunkenZombiee
28th June 2011, 04:14 PM
It doesnt bother me I Just wanted a bit of info about it out of morbid courisity but here are my specs

AMD Phenon(tm) 2 x2 545 processor 2.99Ghz
4gb Ram (3.12 Useable)
Radeon HD 5850 graphics
OCZ 500W PSU
300gb Hard drive

What RPM HDD with how much memory/cache etc? e.g. "500GB Seagate ST3500418AS Barracuda 7200.12, SATA 3Gb/s, 7200rpm, 16MB Cache, 9.5ms, NCQ."

What MOBO and RAM have you got?

DZ.

.DickDastardly.
28th June 2011, 04:24 PM
2GB Patriot Signature (1x2GB) DDR3 PC3-10666C9 1333MHz Single Channel Module
500W OCZ StealthXStream 2 Power Supply
AMD Phenom II X2 Dual Core 545 3.00GHz (Socket AM3) Processor - Retail
320GB Hitachi HDT725032VLA360 3.5" SATA II Hard Drive
Arianet 2GB (1x2GB) DDR3 PC3-10666C9 1333MHz Single Channel Module
ASRock M3A785GMH/128M AMD 785 (Socket AM3) DDR3 Micro-ATX Motherboard

DrunkenZombiee
28th June 2011, 04:49 PM
2GB Patriot Signature (1x2GB) DDR3 PC3-10666C9 1333MHz Single Channel Module
500W OCZ StealthXStream 2 Power Supply
AMD Phenom II X2 Dual Core 545 3.00GHz (Socket AM3) Processor - Retail
320GB Hitachi HDT725032VLA360 3.5" SATA II Hard Drive
Arianet 2GB (1x2GB) DDR3 PC3-10666C9 1333MHz Single Channel Module
ASRock M3A785GMH/128M AMD 785 (Socket AM3) DDR3 Micro-ATX Motherboard

Cheers for the update.

HDD is 7200 RPM with a medium amount of cache and normal seek speed. Might be worth giving it a fair few passes of defrag if you are worried about loading speeds. How full is it?

Everything else seems fine apart from the mix and match RAM manufacturers. But if it works then great!

All normal for the PC's ERA with the single channel memory etc.

Most useful upgrade would be an SSD if you are still worried about your loading times.

DZ.

ArithonUK
28th June 2011, 05:05 PM
Because you don't have SATA3, without going the SSD route, you won't get much faster disks, so if you want faster response times, switch to Win7 x64 and bulk up your RAM with whatever the MOBO will take. This will allow for more disk-caching for data reading and speed up load times a bit.

The other reason to consider this, is that there will be x64 version of BF3.... Battlefield 3 won’t be supporting DirecX 9, it won’t run on Windows XP and DICE's recommended spec (http://bf3blog.com/battlefield-3-system-requirements/). is for Win 7 x64 OS, so you may want to look into the upgrade.

Tutonic
28th June 2011, 05:08 PM
The best way to speed up load times?

RAID 0. Stripe a pair of 10k rpm Raptors and you're flying.

DrunkenZombiee
28th June 2011, 05:39 PM
The best way to speed up load times?

RAID 0. Stripe a pair of 10k rpm Raptors and you're flying.

A pair of 10k raptors would cost more than an SSD =). If your really hardcore you could get a SAN with some of the new SCSI drives. Got a few grand lying around?

.DickDastardly.
28th June 2011, 05:52 PM
i have no idea what ssd is im on win 7 x32 at the moment im not worried about my load times tbh just ask out of courisity but eventually i want to upgrade my ram, hard drive and proberly motherboard

Tutonic
28th June 2011, 06:10 PM
SSD: Solid state drive.

Instead of having having magnetic, spinning platters inside an SSD uses flash memory chips to store data.

Advantages: No moving parts so on paper they're less prone to failure. They're also much, much faster than a traditional hard drive (especially when reading data, eg loading a BC2 map or booting Windows).

Disadvantage: Blummin expensive compared to a regular hard drive. Maximum capacity is (currently) much lower.

As prices go down and more people switch to SSD I'm sure they'll eventually take over, but at the minute they're a bit of a luxury.

DrunkenZombiee
29th June 2011, 01:48 AM
Alot of people are currently raving about Hybrid drives which are the best of both worlds.

A normal HDD is augmented with a small amount of flash memory which is used to store the most used and most vital data (normally your OS etc). In effect you have the speed of an SSD for the commonly most used files and the capacity of a magnetic platter HDD.

I have a friend who about a 500 gig hybrid for £50 and I have to say that his OS boots almost as quickly as my SSD. I was impressed as the price tag was 4 times less than a 120 gig SSD. Saying that when we started to edit video on his PC it began to crawl again as the platters were once again used rather than the Flash memory.

Its still definitely worth it though, need to do some investigation into how the algorithm for what files are on the flash memory at any one time works to optimise for gaming.

DZ

T-Bag
29th June 2011, 03:43 PM
I bought a hybrid drive for my new PC. It came with an intermittent fault so I had to install on a standard harddrive and get a refund. I'm waiting for full SSD before I go through the effort of reinstalling windows and my programs to a new drive. Just waiting for the £/GB to be more sensible vs traditional storage. I'm looking reasonable 128GB for around £128 to get the price:performance up.