PDA

View Full Version : Dude.. I've lost my tag

Gone_Away
13th November 2011, 01:48 AM
Hi Folks,

As we wind down BC2 and ebrace the mayhem known as BF3 the tags for BC2 naturally disappear.

Don't fret, you've done nothing wrong. We're just evolving is all.

NF

TE_owner
13th November 2011, 02:13 AM
I don't really understand the reasoning behind this. BC2 is a separate game and one I shall dip into now and again plus I like collecting badges :)

DuVeL
13th November 2011, 02:23 AM
Here you go Owner;
http://www.bbc.co.uk/historyofthebbc/img/collection_badges_0027.jpg

.DickDastardly.
13th November 2011, 03:11 PM
I've grown quite attached to my bc2 tag please dont take it away ninja:crying:

Naldo
13th November 2011, 10:16 PM
+1. I total agree wiht the decision.

However...

Allot of people put allot of time and effort into making the server a success. That badge was a symbol of what they accomplished.

If you take it away then the management must also remove every other badge that no one plays anymore.

Ie CE,COD4,Left 4 dead etc etc etc.................

smilodon
13th November 2011, 11:44 PM
Some games move from one version to another in an obvious way i.e. L4D became L4D2, Arma became Arma II, Counter Strike became Counter Strike Source. The badges went with the update to the game, with maybe a slight redesign along the way, simple enough. BC2 to Bf3 isn't perhaps such an obvious upgrade. Is BF3 a new game that sits alongside BC2? Is it a natural successor? That ultimately is a choice for the Game Leader and the general consensus of the players. As I understand it, and Ninja's OP spells it out, BF3 is shaping up to be the replacement for BC2 and if so it would follow that the BF3 badge will replace the BC2 badge and sooner or later we'll drop the BC2 server.

L4D is technically still a supported game and so the badge is still live. However there is serious discussion about what we should do with the game. It does seem dead in the water right now, but it's not for me to say if it stays or goes. If it does go then so will the badges. We retain the CS badge more out of nostalgia as it was the game that brought many of us here in the first place and has we've decided to honour it will a permanent badge, named CS Veteran for those of us who were here when CS was our only game.

TE_owner
14th November 2011, 01:47 AM
If you take away my cod4 badge then I will have no badges which will make me a very sad panda :crying:

DrunkenZombiee
14th November 2011, 02:17 AM
Some games move from one version to another in an obvious way i.e. L4D became L4D2, Arma became Arma II, Counter Strike became Counter Strike Source. The badges went with the update to the game, with maybe a slight redesign along the way, simple enough. BC2 to Bf3 isn't perhaps such an obvious upgrade. Is BF3 a new game that sits alongside BC2? Is it a natural successor? That ultimately is a choice for the Game Leader and the general consensus of the players. As I understand it, and Ninja's OP spells it out, BF3 is shaping up to be the replacement for BC2 and if so it would follow that the BF3 badge will replace the BC2 badge and sooner or later we'll drop the BC2 server.

L4D is technically still a supported game and so the badge is still live. However there is serious discussion about what we should do with the game. It does seem dead in the water right now, but it's not for me to say if it stays or goes. If it does go then so will the badges. We retain the CS badge more out of nostalgia as it was the game that brought many of us here in the first place and has we've decided to honour it will a permanent badge, named CS Veteran for those of us who were here when CS was our only game.

There are also a lot of new games which are/will be "supported" like BSO and SWTOR.

Zootoxin
14th November 2011, 11:29 AM
Can't the badges be 'retired' to a different status like the CS:S one?

smilodon
14th November 2011, 11:40 AM
That's not a decision for me to make. We, as in everyone who was part of dMw at the time, felt that as CS was such an icon game and the one that really set dMw on its way that we should remember it and those who played it on dMw servers as CS Veterans. I'm not sure other games have had the sort of impact that CS has?

Tutonic
14th November 2011, 11:47 AM
I'm not sure other games have had the sort of impact that CS has?

Not even close.

Gone_Away
14th November 2011, 11:57 AM
Not even close.

Word.....

Blunt
14th November 2011, 12:00 PM
If people are bothered that their old tags will be lost, can we find a way of keeping them on ones profile page for posterity?

smilodon
14th November 2011, 12:07 PM
If it was that simple I'd say we should keep badges as a norm. However anything on your status page will show up under your name on every post as well. You either have the badge or you don't. Things would get very cluttered for people who played a lot of games. Personally if someone makes a case for keeping the badge of a game for posterity and can give a reason why it should stay I can't see an issue. But it's not for me to say one way or the other.

RizZy
14th November 2011, 07:35 PM
Is it possible to have an old awards or similar on a personal profile page along with what awards they currently have? might be a way of keeping things tidy but a reminder of what we've previously done.

smilodon
14th November 2011, 08:13 PM
Not that I am aware of. Checking the admin settings the awards either exist or they don't. and like I said all badges appear in your profile and next to every post you make. There's no option to have different awards appear in different places, sorry.

RizZy
14th November 2011, 08:52 PM
Oh well, t'was just a thought.

TeaLeaf
15th November 2011, 02:29 PM
There is another reason why badges for games that are on their way out or no longer supported are being 'tidied up' and removed - there is a maximum number of awards we can display within the forum settings. If we displayed all of the old games too then we'd exceed that limit fairly quickly!

Oh well, t'was just a thought.
...and it's a good thought. We're considering a dMw Honour Roll web page or something along those lines which would set out all those who had earned the right to wear the dMw wings in a particular game at the point it was retired. If anyone has any specific suggestions then please send me a PM with your ideas and we'll be happy to consider them in Council. Get them in quick though as we hope to do something fairly quickly for this due to the large number of new games at the moment!