PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions to Fill The Server - Ideas from the front lines

Gone_Away
7th January 2012, 12:50 PM
Guys,

we've been knocking this one about for some time now in the Admin channel.

I'd like to read the thoughts of the rest of the community. All ideas will be objectively considered.

Is it the map rotation?
Is it the mode (Rush/Conquest)?
etc. etc.

Have a think.:eyebrow:

Oberg
7th January 2012, 06:50 PM
I know that among my friends they pick servers that has only 1-3 maps in rotation. Preferably city maps.

I dont really know how to get the server to be more populated. Maby really try to encurage dmw's to be on the server, and try to get it going instead of playing on anpther server.

Gone_Away
8th January 2012, 08:43 PM
Thanks Oberg.

I think the map rotation is part of the solution. The top 10 BF3 servers are all city maps or even just one..

kregoron
8th January 2012, 08:54 PM
Indeed, city maps seems to be the favorit...

Soz i havent been around, work is kinda crazy atm

Chaosphere
8th January 2012, 09:31 PM
Personally, I liked mixed rush/conquest... but maybe thats just me :S

TwoBad
8th January 2012, 09:42 PM
The top 10 BF3 servers are all city maps or even just one..The top UK server (4th overall) isn't

Gone_Away
8th January 2012, 09:45 PM
The top UK server (4th overall) isn't

8/10 of the top 10 servers on Gametracker are on Metro.

OK Dave. What would you suggest. I'll put it into play right now.

Snokio
8th January 2012, 11:30 PM
Did wonder if it was to do with the modes, or maybe not many people have the dlc as we might think?

Vanguish
9th January 2012, 08:23 AM
I know from my friends (the ones that are not in dMw) they don't like mixed rotations rush/conquest.
I think that the most played content is conquest... Wich is my favorite to, but i also like a rush now and then.

Vanguish

TwoBad
9th January 2012, 09:12 AM
OK Dave. What would you suggest.
I'm simply pointing out what the top UK server is, i thought that was important as we have UK in our name (?).

I went on last night to try and get the server going and we got to 7 dMw so i changed it onto SDM (at requested). When we got publics joining i changed onto TD and we eventually managed 12. Not too bad considering what we've had of late.

Server has been empty since we finished which was just after 9 last night. BTW, the map it has been left on is Operation Metro

Le Rouge
11th January 2012, 08:42 PM
Now we're back to normal, and not B2K, we had some players on tonight - thanks for the games!
As for my taste in maps - whatever comes.

Gone_Away
11th January 2012, 10:36 PM
Nice to see you back on the server Le Rouge..

TheDvEight
11th January 2012, 11:21 PM
so the rotation is mertro/bazaar/seine on a 2 map rotation for conquest? if so that is pretty damn cool mate!

Gone_Away
12th January 2012, 10:38 AM
That is correct.. It's a moving feast of sorts and the admins have the ability to change the map rotation on the fly so if it's just dMw members kicking around and having a bash, we can do what we like.

There's no majic pill unfortunately but the work will continue until we get it right!

Snokio
17th January 2012, 09:15 PM
One thing I have noticed that in the battlelog, if you have the first 'Preset' all unticked, the server shows up, but if ticked under 'normal' (Which I usually have), it doesnt appear :blink:

(It wont find it under any/all of the other tick boxes either but will find all 6 of the German dMw ones!)

Blunt
17th January 2012, 09:28 PM
One thing I have noticed that in the battlelog, if you have the first 'Preset' all unticked, the server shows up, but if ticked under 'normal' (Which I usually have), it doesnt appear :blink:

(It wont find it under any/all of the other tick boxes either but will find all 6 of the German dMw ones!)

Been chatting with Snokio about this.
We noticed in Battlelog that the german dmw servers all have the preset "normal" except 1 which says hardcore.
Our server says the prefix is "custom".
Are we running a mod or something?

Gone_Away
17th January 2012, 09:40 PM
not that I'm aware of.. I've even turned the Killcam back on and the health re-gen too.

the only thing could be the tickets me thinks..

Snokio
17th January 2012, 09:49 PM
if its something that can be easily toggled on or off, might be worth a try to see if it will then show up when 'Normal' is ticked

Chaosphere
18th January 2012, 01:34 AM
We were saying tonight we thought this could be part of the problem... probably a big part! We had 10 of us playing tonight, and still no publics... something is stopping it appearing in searches, I'm sure of it. We need to sort it out so it appears in 'Normal' Searches.

I also think we should mix the map rotation up, and change the name a little. I can't remember what the actual name is atm, but it needs to have 'UK' in it, and perhaps just 'City Maps 24/7', '200% tickets' (or whatever % it is) things like that. I'm just thinking of things that get me interested in a server...

Gone_Away
18th January 2012, 09:37 PM
I folks.. Thanks for the input.

I think it is the player respawn time. I've reset it to 100 but I won't know the impact in battlelog for a wee while.

Chaosphere
19th January 2012, 12:05 PM
Hmm, its still showing us as 'Custom' Ninja :s

Blunt
19th January 2012, 06:34 PM
Yup still custom for me :(

Snokio
19th January 2012, 09:00 PM
Didn't see any pubies on tonight :(

Gone_Away
19th January 2012, 09:11 PM
Fixed it.. see you guys tomorrow night.

Chaosphere
20th January 2012, 02:07 PM
Oh nice one man. Let's hope we can get something good going tonight then! :P

Blunt
20th January 2012, 03:58 PM
Fixed it.. see you guys tomorrow night.
So what was it?

faust82
20th January 2012, 07:06 PM
Current setup seems to be working. More pubbies than dMw on tonight.

TE_owner
20th January 2012, 10:05 PM
so much more fun with more than 10 people tonight I think we had 40+ people gg's

Sparko
20th January 2012, 10:20 PM
really enjoyed tonight guys :) good games, Metro was extremely hectic....but in a good way and the comms were excellent, think we pretty much won every round/match once there were enough players for us to have dMw vs the world :D

TwoBad
20th January 2012, 10:59 PM
woohoo dMw BF3 rock once again :yahoo:

great games guys!

Snokio
20th January 2012, 11:01 PM
good games, although we seem to have only 3 maps in rotation :blink: Is that correct?

Gone_Away
21st January 2012, 02:04 AM
So what was it?

respawn times me thinks..

Gone_Away
21st January 2012, 02:04 AM
good games, although we seem to have only 3 maps in rotation :blink: Is that correct?

yup.. see the server banner.. :D

Gone_Away
21st January 2012, 02:09 AM
Guys I want to personally thank all of the Admins and also our regulars (incl. dMw Juniors!) that have persevered while we figured out the problem..

While we are running the most vanilla of vanilla servers the new config is working. We maxed our server for some time tonight (the full 64 slots) and at one point had a queue to get in.. :woot2::woot2:

While we can look at the odd map change, we have a good thing at the moment so let's not change it...

Long Live Battlefield 3!!

BrotherTobious
21st January 2012, 08:49 AM
Well done guys, sounds like you found the sweet spot!

Long may it continue :)

Sent from your computer.

Chaosphere
21st January 2012, 06:52 PM
So, the server has 20 people playing - not one dMw :D

TheDvEight
22nd January 2012, 10:15 AM
sweeeettttttttt

TwoBad
22nd January 2012, 11:16 AM
Server goes up 1500 spots in the rankings in just two days!!

lionheart
22nd January 2012, 11:37 AM
It was crazy again last night, full at 01:00.

Bit of a mare keeping order though, some dude called Ivan"something" was obviously hacking but I could not kick him as
his name did not appear in the player list, nor did his kills seem to register , was well weird, luckily he didn't stop long.

Gone_Away
22nd January 2012, 12:01 PM
It was crazy again last night, full at 01:00.

Bit of a mare keeping order though, some dude called Ivan"something" was obviously hacking but I could not kick him as
his name did not appear in the player list, nor did his kills seem to register , was well weird, luckily he didn't stop long.

These are good problems to have to be honest..

We should be able to issue bans using IP address or other ID's. Use Procon and a manual ban if necessary.

TwoBad
22nd January 2012, 12:04 PM
But this dude came back after we kicked him and he didn't show in Procon!

kregoron
22nd January 2012, 12:07 PM
Good to see the server alive and kicking ;)

Chaosphere
22nd January 2012, 12:27 PM
I think you lot should discuss the map rotation now though, we all agreed that although Metro is great for the smaller battles, a 64 player Metro doesn't fit with the rest of the server. Its just a grenade / RPG / M320 fest. There are specific servers that run that 24/7, I don't think catering to something else is going to hurt us! There were enough complaints from publics too, but that all said, the server was still full!

Anyway, good work chaps. Good games last night, looking forward to a more active server!

TwoBad
22nd January 2012, 12:37 PM
I think you lot should discuss the map rotation now though
Already happening

Chaosphere
22nd January 2012, 05:18 PM
You see, this is why dMw is pretty darn cool :P You lot all make it what it is.

No homo.

Bazer_Punk
27th January 2012, 10:30 PM
City and other close combat maps seems to be the thing, the big open maps almost emptied the server

Tutonic
6th February 2012, 09:41 PM
I popped on for a quick game tonight.

Seine Crossing - Fab.

Metro - Oh dear. Who chose this? Dreadful map, it emptied the server.

Gone_Away
6th February 2012, 09:50 PM
Metro - Oh dear. Who chose this? Dreadful map, it emptied the server.

Are you serious?? Metro is the map that fills the server up in most cases.. Nice to see you again....

Sparko
6th February 2012, 09:55 PM
We seemed to get a lot of people join on Friday when metro was on, its a good map but can get a little hectic, but its the fun hectic :boxing:

DannagE
6th February 2012, 09:58 PM
Got to admit, metro has been one of the best maps recently on the server. Really enjoyable :D

Snokio
6th February 2012, 10:27 PM
Is it possible to add a few more maps to the rotation please, as good as some of the maps are, they start to tire fairly quickly and second time :(

Tutonic
7th February 2012, 09:00 AM
Are you serious?? Metro is the map that fills the server up in most cases.. Nice to see you again....

On Rush it's tolerable, but on Conquest it quickly turns into a hellish chokepoint spam fest. I do not enjoy :(

And yes, it totally emptied the server last night.

Chaosphere
7th February 2012, 05:02 PM
Is it possible to add a few more maps to the rotation please, as good as some of the maps are, they start to tire fairly quickly and second time :(

Couldn't agree more!

More city maps, even if that just means different versions of the current maps! For example, we played a small conquest on Seine Crossing yesterday, and it worked really well! Played very differently to the larger version, was good.

Also, lord knows we don't want to mess up the preset again, but is it possible to remove the killcam and stay 'normal'? Just a thought...

TwoBad
7th February 2012, 07:17 PM
And yes, it totally emptied the server last night.To be fair, quite a few dMw players left when this map was about to start but that was due to the time, not because of the map. This map IS one of the best to seed a server.

More city maps, even if that just means different versions of the current maps! For example, we played a small conquest on Seine Crossing yesterday, and it worked really well! Played very differently to the larger version, was good.Yep, as it was requested i put Seine Crossing Conquest Small on. However, we only had 10 or so players on at the time so it worked but i think (could be wrong) this is a max 32 player map so it could cause an issue if it was made permanent(?).

The current map rotation is:

Operation Metro (Round one)
Seine Crossing (Round one)
Grand Bazaar (Round one)
Teheran Highway
Operation Metro (Round two)
Seine Crossing (Round two)
Grand Bazaar (Round two)
Operation Firestorm
Kharg Island
Caspian Border

What other "City" maps would you like? Remember we had decided to steer away from the DLC maps for the time being in an effort to fill the server more often.

Chaosphere
8th February 2012, 02:38 PM
The small Canals worked really well last night I thought.

If we're adding maps into the server, shouldn't we change the name from metro/seine/bazaar to something just mentioning 'City Maps'?

Also, just an observation, plenty of very busy servers have an increased ticket count and 1 player starts, mentioned in their names... something to consider?