PDA

View Full Version : Battlefield Premium - a.k.a. COD Elite

ArithonUK
31st May 2012, 04:35 PM
According to various sources, "BattleField Premium" - a one-off paid "service" for BF3 is released next Monday.

BF3Blog says this will cost $50 US (£31) however the service looks set to cost £39.99/€49.99 for us mere non-Americans. Even with taxes added, that's blatant money-grabbing to round up by three quid (+7.5%)??!!

Battlefield Premium will include all of the released and upcoming DLC, including:

Back To Karkand
Close Quarters
Armored Kill
Aftermath
End Game

In addition to the DLC, Battlefield Premium for Battlefield 3 includes the following features:

20 maps
20 new weapons
10+ new vehicles
4 new game modes
30+ assignments
Two weeks early access to DLC
Unique in-game knife, dog tags, and camos
Unique weapon camos
Stats reset feature
Save up to five Battlelog reports
5+ unique assignments
Exclusive double XP weekends
Exclusive videos and strategy guides

EA tells Joystiq, "Looks like the excitement for Battlefield Premium cannot be contained. For details, please visit Battlefield.com on June 4." We'd suggest you check out Joystiq.com on June 4 as well.

Well, I can contain my excitement. The poor take up of Karkand - which was given to everyone who pre-ordered, has meant our server and the majority of other servers do not include the BFB2K DLC maps in the rotation, making them a pointless waste of money for most people.

Because this is DLC and NOT on Steam, or in the shops, it will only be available at full price through Origin. So no 75% off sale on Steam in six months! Even fewer people are going to get this than Karkand.

I for one think paying for DLC, some of which I already have, that costs more than the original game did, is out of the question. Beyond unreasonable. EA & DICE can whistle for it.

"OOh, I have a unique dog tag!"
"Yeah, it says 'I am EA's b#tch'"

Any developer with an ounce of conscience would be ashamed for charging so much money for something we could have made for ourselves if they'd not held back the mod tools for BF3.

DICE and EA have chosen to forget that modders of BF1942 created "Desert Combat" which went on to become BF2, creating this "franchise" that otherwise would have been a one-off FPS game a decade ago, now long forgotten.

Not releasing server exe's, poorly considered patches, unreliable on-line services, a console-retarded feature set and a truly abysmal user-interface have all contributed to damaging BF3 to the point where I no longer want to buy the next BattleField title, because I don't want the death of LAN games, nerfing weapons for those who whine loudest, stats loss, fewer features than prior titles and an game browser stuck in guns-n-ammo-Facebook!

http://www.battlefieldthree.co.uk/battlelog-parody.jpg

I can already see the next BFFs video showing the noob toting an arsenal of new weapons, wearing a pink camo jumpsuit, while berating the other players choice of attire and lack of weapons and asking why he can't find a single server to play his 20 new maps on!

http://www.battlefieldthree.co.uk/stupid-dlc.jpg

kregoron
31st May 2012, 04:58 PM
Tbh, if the weapons arent over powered and does give the paying player an advantage, i have no issues with it.. i might even go it for myself for the lols..

But if it upsets the game balanced i have issues with it too

TE_owner
31st May 2012, 05:23 PM
Pass you should all come play Tribes Ascend with me! :D

"Looks like the Rage for Battlefield Premium cannot be contained. For details, Bend over"

Also fixed a quote there for ya!

TheDvEight
31st May 2012, 11:03 PM
I Paid "X" Ammount of money for BF3 To expect it to work ( I Know a game goes through teething problems ) Yet the game still has issues that SHOULD have been sorted yonks ago before EA/Dice tries to get back into our wallets.

I'm not going to purchase any future DLC/Premium Thingys from EA/Dice for bf3 for the following reasons.

1)They have yet to sort out BF3 properly for online play yet are bringing ad-ons/expansion packs for it that will proberly have teething problems to start with aswell (Which may well go unsolved/fixed aswell).
2) Why should I pay for what seems to be the price of what the game was in the first place for some maps & weapons. Better off spending my hard earned cash on a game that does excatly what it says on the tin unlike bf3 (who changed from being a pc dedicated game then console to the otherway round!).
3)Our server doesnt run B2K Maps....I dont play on any otherserver so whats the point in getting premium?.

I'm really disapointed with BF3 - For me it's not lived up to my expectations and EA/Dice have fell well short of what there capable of (Even though I dont Rate EA all too highly anyway!) Why cant EA Buck the trend and not go the way of COD with add ons, Double exp weeknds & Make the game work properly?

Yes it's a brilliant game and I love playing it but things like this make me want to NOT play it rather than play it.

Again I wont be getting premium anytime soon.

TheDvEight
31st May 2012, 11:12 PM
Sorry to double post

Unique in-game knife, dog tags, and camos <--- Stolen from cod
Unique weapon camos <--- Stolen from cod
Stats reset feature <--- Stolen from cod AKA prestige

Exclusive double XP weekends <--- Stolen from cod

Blunt
1st June 2012, 12:15 AM
Why cant EA Buck the trend and not go the way of COD with add ons, Double exp weeknds & Make the game work properly?

We're back with CoD4 on 77.108.135.45:28960
It's a refreshing change to play, so much better than BO.
people are still playing, making maps and competing, it's the CS of the CoD series.
It only takes a couple of good sessions to fully rank up, then everyone's on a level playing field.
Come join us... "look into the eyes, not around the eyes"

kregoron
1st June 2012, 07:30 AM
Tbh i dont really get the fuzz about the price, you get all DLC's for a one time purchase..
Whats the difference on a DLC and a Expansion packs? Yeah they are smaller but often cheaper.
The price might seem high, but a game like WoW which release a Expansion pack every what 1.5 years which costs as much as the total game..
A game like Civilization V (which a absolutely love) has a huge amount of DLC's and i bought em all :D

I for one welcomes Battlefield premium, as ill buy and never worry about DLC's for BF3 again. And the game has become quite stable compared to others in my book.

More maps
Guns!
Vehicles!!
More stuff to do, more butts to be kicked!!!
More Geil to be unlocked yay!!!!

Lets get rocking some more BF3

And Blunt, as soon as im over Exams, ill be kicking your but in CoD4 (tho you will probably knife me again) :P :P

Sorry to double post

Unique in-game knife, dog tags, and camos <--- Stolen from cod
Unique weapon camos <--- Stolen from cod
Stats reset feature <--- Stolen from cod AKA prestige

Exclusive double XP weekends <--- Stolen from cod

Unique ingame knife stolen from Star Wars Galaxies
Unique Weapon skins Stolen from RF online
States Reset stolen from many online based games over the ages
Exclusive double XP weekends Stolen from quite a few online games over the games.

So not as much stealing but following the evolution of the gaming industri..

No i do not like EA one bit, but Battlefield Premium i have no issues with. Tho i wouldnt mind them sorting a discount for people who bought Karkand.

BrotherTobious
1st June 2012, 09:04 AM
Nope not for me thanks move along.

Gortex
1st June 2012, 11:12 AM
I agree with DD on this one and EA are not going to get any money from me for this as I don't think it will be value for money let alone the price for an expansion / DLC being far higher than I personally think it should be.

Like the news about COD4 Blunt and I may well dust off the cover a bit and join for some fun. What nights you play again? Monday is it not?

T-Bag
1st June 2012, 04:24 PM
If Battlefield 3 were on steam I would have bought it, this expansion would have been on steam too. I would have waited for a weekend sale and picked it up too. I've not problem with paying a reasonable amount for extras. But like CoD proved, if you have to many of these pack or they are bad value for money people won't buy them (I haven't bought any of them - because it's £15 for 4 maps).

If you bring out a new game the same as the old the old game dies (also shown by CoD) so keeping it alive with map that "everyone" has (not just people who have downloaded them in advance) keeps the game feeling fresh. A pack of maps for a price somewhere around £1 a map makes sense and I can live with that.
(A better alternative would be to have a game which makes mod tools readily available and then pushes the best community made maps out to customers for free...but not many companies work like Valve - and they have their own issues, just ask people about the wait for HL3 and you'll find out that waiting too long between games is just as bad...).

Anyway, I would pay somewhere in the region of £20 for a pack like this for a game I play regularly (and certainly pick it up in a sale if it dropped significantly below this)...but I don't have the game because of their steam policy. Crysis 2 hit steam again recently so one can only hope...but I'm not holding my breath.

Blunt
1st June 2012, 04:27 PM
I agree with DD on this one and EA are not going to get any money from me for this as I don't think it will be value for money let alone the price for an expansion / DLC being far higher than I personally think it should be.

Like the news about COD4 Blunt and I may well dust off the cover a bit and join for some fun. What nights you play again? Monday is it not?

Yup, Monday is the night, but hopefully with more people playing, we can play any night
Shout me on Steam if you want a game :)

Oberg
1st June 2012, 07:24 PM
Thing is that i hate that they always do this.

But since many players will cash-out and buy it they will see it as a success.

i don´t want to buy it but if many of my IRL friends get it i probably get it to.

TheDvEight
1st June 2012, 10:50 PM
If we endup supporting the "new super dooper ooo shiney maps" on the server will have to get them:sideways:

TE_owner
2nd June 2012, 12:21 AM
If we endup supporting the "new super dooper ooo shiney maps" on the server will have to get them:sideways:

I doubt this will happen

Sparko
2nd June 2012, 09:47 AM

This is catch 22 though. The more DLC that EA releases the more diluted servers become, whether they decide to support certain DLC or decide not too. its a balance of do we host the DLC content to bring pubbies in or tailor it to the community.

I dont think i will be getting BF Premium but i will be buying DLC as and when it is released dependant on reviews etc and how popular it is

Gone_Away
5th June 2012, 12:47 AM
I think Sparko has hit the nail on the head here..

The community determines what we play on our servers and not EA.

As for me, I'll be buying the CQC DLC but not sure if I'll invest anymore cash in the game at this moment in time. I'd much rather buy it on Steam to be honest.

kregoron
5th June 2012, 07:03 AM
I think Sparko has hit the nail on the head here..

The community determines what we play on our servers and not EA.

As for me, I'll be buying the CQC DLC but not sure if I'll invest anymore cash in the game at this moment in time. I'd much rather buy it on Steam to be honest.

sadly i doubt it will ever hit steam..
EA already stated priviously that talk with Valve about getting BF3 to steam failed a while ago, due to the restrictions Valve puts on games thats released on the platform, patch management, content release and the whole battlelog thing makes it to much trouble and costly

Gotta admit i bought it, and its great fun.. more assigments to do and stuff to unlock :D and now ive got all the upcoming DLC's so not gonna bother thinking about those anymore

ArithonUK
6th June 2012, 08:56 AM
Paid DLC splits the community. I only play on dMw server, so if we aren't running it, I'm not playing.

The CQ DLC holds no interest for me whatsoever. What is essentially a COD map-set would make the game "gunfight-room" not "BattleField" and I like BattleField, not COD.

kregoron
6th June 2012, 02:59 PM
DLC's dont have to split the community, you dont have to play on DLC maps if you bought premium, you just get some different weapons and stuff..

Tho im surprised about one thing, premium qeue's on servers, some servers has enabled so that you get infront of the rest if you got Premium.. that i tbh dont like

kregoron
22nd June 2012, 02:31 PM
Armored kill Premium stuff :P

kregoron
7th July 2012, 01:51 AM
http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/premium?sourceid=bf3-fb-wall-na-soldierupgrade?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=wall-post&utm_campaign=do-not-use&utm_content=soldierupgrade

a (http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/premium?sourceid=bf3-fb-wall-na-soldierupgrade?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=wall-post&utm_campaign=do-not-use&utm_content=soldierupgrade)t the bottom is a nice little calendar showing the additional premium unlocks over the next few months ;D