Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hammer Tool Troubleshooting

I'm following a Tutorial posted by Sadako, I'm just having a problem with the "Clipping Tool".

This is the page of the tutoral I am on: Clipping and Resizing

Quote from the section I am on;

We're going to use the Clip Tool Shift-X to cut out an opening in the wall so that the two rooms are connected. With the wall still selected (it should be red), use the Clip Tool to cut along the wall of the original room. It's most easily done from the top (x/y) view. Drag your mouse across the wall and release, half of the wall should have a thick white border and the remaining half still looks red.
    (My Window)

I've selected the tool (shift-X) and then dragged accross the wall to be clipped, and all I get are the two white boxes and the blue line, unlike what the tutorial says.

Could someone show me how to use this tool properly?

Thanks very much.
    Last edited by Exodus; 14th May 2008 at 12:08 PM.

If you press Shift-X more than once you will cycle through the three options you have

1. both sides being white = keep both but splitting the block at the line
    2. left side red and right side white = discards the red part and keeps the white
    3. left side white and right side red = keeps the left white part and discards the right red part.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Sadako View Post
    If you press Shift-X more than once you will cycle through the three options you have

1. both sides being white = keep both but splitting the block at the line
    2. left side red and right side white = discards the red part and keeps the white
    3. left side white and right side red = keeps the left white part and discards the right red part.
    Cheers Doc, thats cleared it up.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Edit: Just another quick question;

When you compile your maps, does the program only compile the new changes you have made, or does it compile everything you have done in total every time you run the function?
    Last edited by Exodus; 14th May 2008 at 02:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    Cheers Doc, thats cleared it up.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Edit: Just another quick question;

When you compile your maps, does the program only compile the new changes you have made, or does it compile everything you have done in total every time you run the function?
    It compiles everything unless you use Cordon Tools which is a fantastic tool.

Aligning Textures

Sorry stuck with a very basic problem again.

Here is what the tutorial is asking me to do:

This is a bit tricky, but the easiest way is to make two clips in the x/y view along the two sides of the door texture, and watch where the cut goes in the 3D view. Then select the middle brush and go to the y/z view and cilp it horizontally across the top of the door texture. It may take a few tries to cut at the exact spot, but it could be done. If you clip at the wrong place, just Ctrl-Z to undo the cut and adjust your clipping position. When you're done, it should look like this (I have the three brushes around the door selected to emphasize the cutout)
    Tutorial Page: Click

Following the instructions I cant work out how to get the three (horizontal + two vertical) cuts around the door texture.

Thanks again.

Sorry stuck with a very basic problem again.

Here is what the tutorial is asking me to do:

Tutorial Page: Click

Following the instructions I cant work out how to get the three (horizontal + two vertical) cuts around the door texture.

Thanks again.
    The trick is to match the cut to the 3D view i.e. you see where the cut is in relation to the door texture. If we name the four windows as follows:

1|2
    ---
    3|4

I think it will be easier to follow.

1. is the 3D view
    2. is the XY plane i.e. the birds eye view
    3. is the XZ plane i.e parallel to the door face
    4. is the YZ plane i.e. looking at the door face

So start in window 2 (XY) and place a cut in the paralell to the Y axis (up and down) on e.g. the left side of one of the doors. Use the 3D view to guide you to the "right" place for the cut.Make sure you use the white+white selection if you want to use the not door part as a wall later on. Then make a new cut in the same window on the right side of the door in the same way as above. Now you should have something like this

many doors | door | many doors

If you go out of the clipping tool and go to the select tool you should be able to just select your door. Once you have done that go to the cutting tool again. But now you should look at window 4 i.e. the XZ plane showing the face of the too high door. With the guidance of the 3D view again you should place a cut in window 4 parallel to the x axis (i.e. left to right) to cut the door to the right height. Et voila. you have your door.

So start in window 2 (XY) and place a cut in the paralell to the Y axis (up and down) on e.g. the left side of one of the doors. Use the 3D view to guide you to the "right" place for the cut.Make sure you use the white+white selection if you want to use the not door part as a wall later on. Then make a new cut in the same window on the right side of the door in the same way as above. Now you should have something like this

many doors | door | many doors

If you go out of the clipping tool and go to the select tool you should be able to just select your door. Once you have done that go to the cutting tool again. But now you should look at window 4 i.e. the XZ plane showing the face of the too high door. With the guidance of the 3D view again you should place a cut in window 4 parallel to the x axis (i.e. left to right) to cut the door to the right height. Et voila. you have your door.
    Once again, sorted!

Thanks for the explanation.

Curving Corridors

As opposed to the normal box style corridor, how do I go about curving a corridor 90 degrees to either the right or the left?

Thanks.

As opposed to the normal box style corridor, how do I go about curving a corridor 90 degrees to either the right or the left?

Thanks.

My advice is to stick to the box style corridor with "normal" angles and no curves for a wee while longer ...

My advice is to stick to the box style corridor with "normal" angles and no curves for a wee while longer ...
    Ok, gotcha.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information