Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Guild Wars 2

Blog Entries
    OT:

Something in me grates really badly when asked to 'Like' or 'Tweet' something to get a chance of winning a product, so I simply close the web browser and don't bother. Am I alone in feeling like this?

I just detest social media (which I detest in general already) being used to build an illegitimate interest in a product. Let me try to product and decide, don't get me to publish to the world some fake positive feelings about a product that I have not played.
    TL.
    Wisdom doesn't necessarily come with age. Sometimes age just shows up all by itself. (Tom Wilson)
    Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships. (Michael Jordan)

This is no different from writing a postcode to random childrens TV shows of the 70's (when I was a child) I used to watch or say entering a caption competition at school.
    Do you detest these also, or is it just the fact it's using new age Social media, compared to old age media of TV shows and postcards?

Yeah, personally i'm not taking any social corps. seriously. I dont mind "likes" or "tweets" of some crap if it means You dont have to buy the game ^^. I wasnt planning to buy it anyway, so if i win, kewl! I can give it a try for free, if not.. whatever ;)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Twisted View Post
    This is no different from writing a postcode to random childrens TV shows of the 70's (when I was a child) I used to watch or say entering a caption competition at school.
    Do you detest these also, or is it just the fact it's using new age Social media, compared to old age media of TV shows and postcards?
    Either you've misunderstood or I have, so show me similarity please between a viral (often vaporware) marketing campaign and sending a postcard in to your favourite TV show?
    TL.
    Wisdom doesn't necessarily come with age. Sometimes age just shows up all by itself. (Tom Wilson)
    Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships. (Michael Jordan)

I was comparing the new age of "liking" or "tweeting" to the old age of sending in postcards or a caption competition.
    Basically I'm trying to state that this kind of advertising is nothing new - they get you to do an action at little or no cost to people, but with the chance to win a prize.

I agree that it's viral by nature, but then it's just as viral as saying "Hey TL I found this great new game - I like it, wanna try it?".

And if you think that's bad I've love to hear your take on Ads in Flash with SOUND. I dunno about anyone else but that's the worst of the worst in my eyes.

But regardless of your opinion, if I win then I'll donate the game to a DMW member. I'll do it by random draw by getting people to like my win post by quoting it and telling me how much they like me

Blog Entries
    Sending a postcard to a TV show is so far away from advertising it is untrue. It's that aspect I do not like. If they asked you to send in a postcard raving about a TV show that you have not yet seen and told you they would run adverts with your 'Like' or support with them on TV and in the national press then I would also not like sending postcards to TV shows (not that I do anyway).

Personal recommendation of a game is one thing, but this says "Are you greedy and willing to lie to get a free game". (definition of personal excludes the Like/+1/Tweet type of garbage recommendation)

/100% agreed with Flash adverts, but I block those anyway at the browser and that's a different topic
    TL.

So, who's up and waiting for the servers to open?

I'm on Gandara.
    Last edited by Gorion; 25th August 2012 at 08:57 AM.
    Guild Wars 2 - Characters: Dragelis / Estril / Viliona
    Battle.net - LydonB#2167
    Warframe - LydonB

I managed to reserve some names. I rolled on Gandara, which does seem to be kicking ass in WvWvW atm
    Servers are a touch unstable in EU, slow logins and some kicks.

Yeah, can't seem to be able to login at the moment.
    Guild Wars 2 - Characters: Dragelis / Estril / Viliona
    Battle.net - LydonB#2167
    Warframe - LydonB

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information