Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Xbox one

Xbox one

new xbox has been revealed

http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/hub/reveal
    Remember when I promised to kill you last?…I lied!(arnie-commando)

cool stuff... and how much?

Early days yet but first impressions are that I'm surprised that no existing Xbox games will be compatible with the new system, so it will either mean throwing away a lot of games or running two consoles side by side. I guess that's what happens when you make such a big upgrade to you system. Right now it looks like both the Xbox and PS4 will be more powerful than any currently available PC. Of course give it a year and as is always the case, the consoles will get left behind high end PC's again.

My main problem is that I've no love for either Microsoft or Sony. Both have shown that their primary goal is to monetise their systems as much as possible and to charge for anything they can get away with. It's possible that the PC will die out as a gaming platform at some point (but not while World of Warcraft still breathes ) I'd be much happier with a hardware platform that wasn't locked into some vast conglomerate that has consistently shown to never have it's customers best interests at heart.

Also I don't think living room consoles are the future for 'casual' gaming. Nor will they become the all in one home entertainment system that Microsoft is hoping for. I think Tablets and mobile are where that's headed and it will be Google and Apple that will lead the way not Sony and Microsoft. Give it a few years and we'll be wirelessly linking our tablets to our HDTvs and using them as our gaming platform. Sadly I think Microsoft have missed the boat...... again.
    smilodon
    --
    Sent from the darkest recesses of a fractured mind, using the power of blood magic.

Interesting picture raises more questions than answers
    xboxone.jpg
    Regards
    Blunt

People who blow things out of proportion are worse than Hitler.

No 2nd hand games, having to pay a fee to "unlock" a game if its been installed on another machine.. Not backwards compatible with 360 games.. Its a glorified PVR with support for NFL fantasy football where you have install games to your tiny 500gig HDD.. Worse performance than my current 2 year old PC (by a long way)... the future looks pretty rosey for PC gaming as most core gamers will leave in their droves unless they pull something out of the bag at E3.

Quote Originally Posted by smilodon View Post
    Right now it looks like both the Xbox and PS4 will be more powerful than any currently available PC. Of course give it a year and as is always the case, the consoles will get left behind high end PC's again.
    ^ Not true mate, its a pretty average x64 gaming PC under the hood with tech from a few years ago (8-core 64-bit x86 Jaguar AMD CPU @ 1.6GHz is going to be roughly half a speed of a current gen i7 stock and possible 8 gig of RAM (almost certainly DDR5) shared with the GPU which is going to be roughly the same as a Radeon 7790 so a $150 card but with shared memory). Definitely not pushing any boundaries like the PS3 tried to do and failed with its hybrid RISC and CISC architecture from their IBM chip.

Oh dear Microsoft.
    DZ

Quote Originally Posted by smilodon View Post
    Early days yet but first impressions are that I'm surprised that no existing Xbox games will be compatible with the new system, so it will either mean throwing away a lot of games or running two consoles side by side. I guess that's what happens when you make such a big upgrade to you system. Right now it looks like both the Xbox and PS4 will be more powerful than any currently available PC. Of course give it a year and as is always the case, the consoles will get left behind high end PC's again.
    It's a completely different architecture, it'd need emulating, which would be too demanding for current systems. The alternative is the PS3 route where you build the old system into the new adding cost, cooling requirements and size. As for the spec being better than current PCs, the only real specification that gain significantly is the ram since they can use GDDR5(PS4)/ESRAM(One) which is much faster than that currently available to PCs.

The processor is less powerful than many currently available for gaming machines, and the graphics are on par with affordable gaming rigs, but there are plenty of rigs that will beat these specs, even mine that is several years old will be comparable (4.4GHz i7 with Nividia 570). It really is just the ram and the fact the hardware abilities are precisely understood that will allow this generation of consoles to outperform the equivalent PC.

The cost associated with design and production of this generation will be considerably less than the previous which both used unique designs, this could be a sign they intend to update more regularly console design. Competition will come in the form of android and PC (ie steambox) alternatives with increasingly powerful specs, these will likely put pressure on this upcoming generation after just a few years. A 4 year development cycle would be my guess for this gen.

As for the connectors blunt, HDMI in is so the xbox can act as a central hub for your TV, essentially your content will be funnelled through it (presumably offering DVR functions and program reminders). Remaining connectors are all fairly standard except the one labelled up as kinect which is proprietary, a strange move considering they opened the last version up to PC developers. (I'm presuming the socket next to the ethernet is a remote extender "IR OUT" for controlling the sky/cable box etc you're pumping through the xbox. The label isn't clearly readable to me, but it's certainly says "OUT".)

Apologies I was reading a review that said 8 Xbox cores was ahead of anything currently available in a PC. Obviously it was a bad review. I understand the idea behind the lack of backwards compatibility but it still stinks for some kid who is going to have to abandon all his or her current games if they can't run both boxes side by side.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    smilodon
    --
    Sent from the darkest recesses of a fractured mind, using the power of blood magic.

They dropped the ball with this one.

I think the PS4 is more focused on gamers than the XBOX because they actually talked about games in their release =o.
    DZ

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenZombiee View Post
    They dropped the ball with this one.

I think the PS4 is more focused on gamers than the XBOX because they actually talked about games in their release =o.
    Plus the CoD trailer looks SERIOUSLY dated. If that had come out 2-3 years ago on PC it wouldn't caused a storm. Certainly doesn't scream "next gen" to me. Unlike the Killzone game for PS4 which at least looked pretty.

Oh look, it's a PC with a Kinect strapped to it.

I am distinctly underwhelmed by the next generation of consoles, and the launch titles are especially disappointing.

Remember when the PS2 arrived with GTA 3? Now that was a game to be excited about.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 LTE.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information