Thread: A l i e n

A l i e n

So am I the only one excited for Covenant? I am a huge Alien fan, so much so I can side my apprehension after Prometheus* was less than the second coming. I find myself getting more and more excited against my better judgement. Due to see it Thursday night..can't wait.

*Re-watched this in 3D the other day with the better half to get her up to speed. To be fair it isn't awful, it just isn't what I wanted it to be.
    The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Toby was talking about this last night and him bringing the misses if there's no baby soon.
    Survivor of LAN V, VI, VIII, IX, X, XII, XIV, XVI, XVIII, XX, XXIV, XXX, XXXII and XXXIV so far...
    Lionheart; Grolsch to DuVeL is like spinache to Popeye
    Cheesepuff...A cyborg is sent from the future on a deadly mission. He has to kill Ninja_Freak, a young Man whose life will have a great significance in years to come.Ninja has only one protector - DuVeL - also sent from the future. The Terminator uses his exceptional intelligence and strength to find Ninja_Freak & attempt to terminate him.

He can always come sit on my lap

Interested and not. It's the same story iterated ad nauseum: Arrive on a planet, find alien sacks, be an idiot and mess with stuff you shouldn't, get killed by xenomorphs.

The part tackling the Engineer species/civilisation was interesting, but unfortunately that was the only part during Prometheus that was fun for me.

What would get me exited is a film about the Engineers, their background, origins, and why they decided to exterminate humanity.
    Guild Wars 2 - Characters: Dragelis / Estril / Viliona
    Battle.net - LydonB#2167
    Warframe - LydonB

Yes I agree with that. I thought the same thing when watching prometheus... very formulaic.

Problem is that's also the formula that works. When done well it makes for great Sci fi horror.. but I guess it's hard to make a universe / story from.

I'm clearly not as fanatical as you guys. I enjoyed Prometheus, knowing full well it was set in the same universe but not necessarily touching on the same storylines.

Will likely enjoy this latest Alien as well, unless they've truly ****ed it up (Boondock Saints II anyone?).
    Coppula Eam, Se Non Posit Acceptera Jocularum!
    Survived Lan XX, XXII, XXIV, XXVI , XXVIII, XXX, XXXII and XXXIV

It is a decent watch Willy.

Delivers what is expected. There are bits of a wider story I wish they delved into a lot more, as I actually find that bit interesting. Otherwise some decent Alien business. I think the problem is I want too much from these films

Complete tosh. Avoid.

Having felt so completely let down by Prometheus I was so looking forward to this film. It had Ridley Scott (who would be fully aware of the mainly negative reviews for the previous film and what prompted them) being given the 'Engineers' story-line to work his magic on and drag the franchise back on track. This film would answer those intriguing questions posed by the previous film regarding the Engineers and their role in creation and extermination. Where did Elizabeth Shaw and David go after they left the planet? Who are the Engineers? Why did they plan to return to earth to exterminate us?

Nope, you get none of that with this film. Instead, you get a plot-hole ridden, second-rate action/horror movie full of unbelievable characters (supposedly experts in their field) doing unbelievable things. Prometheus anyone?

I've taken just a few lines from one of the many negative reviews on IMDB that basically sums up my thoughts.

Considering Ridley Scott made the iconic original film, it's hard to understand how tragically he has failed to grasp what makes the Alien film great. There is no slow burn atmosphere here. No tension build up. No creepiness to the xenomorph itself. It just fails to do anything that the predecessors do.

The film also makes the same mistakes as Prometheus did, by giving the characters terrible motives or at best, strange decision making capabilities. Nothing really makes sense. There are so many times where you wonder to yourself, 'if this is suppose to be such an important mission, why are they making such ridiculous choices?'

There was Alien. Then there was Aliens. Then there was Aliens 3 (the directors cut, not the studio edit debacle). And that was it. Three films with a finally ending for Ripley's character. The End.

Thread Information