FOIP and FaceWare Tech

If you've been following the development, you should be aware that Face Over IP (FOIP) has been implemented into the game from patch 3.3 onwards.

If you're not aware of this, this feature enables your character's face to mimic your real world expressions, e.g. if you blink, your character blinks, if you talk, your character's lips move in sync with yours, if you smile, your character smiles, if you nod, your character nods, etc. (you get the picture) - see the video below for some hilarious examples!

The feature requires a webcam to work, and while you can use practically any webcam (I've tried my trusty old Microsoft LifeCam, and that works OK), the results aren't amazing, especially if you're in a darkened room and the only light available is coming from your PC's monitor.

So, CIG have teamed up with Faceware Technologies, the company who have provided the tech (http://www.facewaretech.com) and the company is developing an RSI-branded motion sensor which has some advantages over a standard webcam, namely it runs at 60fps (most webcams top out at 30fps) making it sync up your facial expressions much more accurately, but it also excels in low-light conditions where a standard webcam fails.

This is the comparison between webcams and Faceware's own motion sensor, running in a complete dark room:
    webcam-comparison-v01.jpg

FMS_01.jpg

I haven't seen CIG pushing this device just yet, and at the time of writing this, I don't believe the device is ready for sale, but you can sign up for notification of the progress here: http://facewaretech.com/motionsensor/

For those of you who would like to know a bit more about the tech behind this feature, BoredGamer has put up a good video of the panel at CitizenCon where it was showcased:

Cheers,
    o7
    Last edited by Obsydian; 15th October 2018 at 04:26 PM.

More hilarious VOIP shenanigans from wiithin the SC universe!

Just catching up on all your posts Ob, so tried this out today. I have an oldish Creative 1080p camera and it's working fine. I'm testing is in game on full head motion which is your basic TrackIR replacement, and it works fine. Still above 60fps in game on High settings with the head tracking even when moving around (not just seated). Now to try and complete a mission!
    Cheers, Bert

Ok so the F button and selecting functions is horribly broken in FOIP mode. It's hit or miss whether you can even get into the seat of your ship or even open the doors.
    Cheers, Bert

Thread Information