chrome book or similar

I need a get a new laptops for the kids for school.

Don't want to spend a fortune but anyone have a chromebook for similar which ius going to be suitable for school work - usual stuff.

nothing too flash but not too painfully slow

Nice to have touchscreen.

Something like this work@ https://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-Chrome...mputers&sr=1-6
    PEN
    (Formerly: ThePENDRAGON)

I recently researched a batch of Chromebooks for the school and went for these ...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-Chrome...1J3UVWKO/?th=1

They can be had for 249 by looking at 'other sellers'. They do not have touch screens (expect to pay an extra 100 for that) but do have full HD and 4GB of RAM (2GB models should be avoided).

Blog Entries
    TL loves his

"It's hard, but not as hard as Arma!!!" Tutonic
    "This game is horribly broken" Oldbloke
    "Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil... prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon.." Terry Pratchetts

Blog Entries
    Yep, my HP Chromebook 14 G4 is still going great. Very fast boot time, does everything I need. Mine is several years old now but is still in regular use with clients and at school/university meetings.

Definitely go with the HD screen (the 768 resolution sucks) and a 14" screen as 11" is seriously small to do homework on.

If I had to replace mine right now I'd be getting an HP Chromebook 14 G5 (4LS76EA) which has the HD touchscreen you want, 14" screen and is 1920x1080 HD resolution.

The Acer's have a great rep too, but as I have been using an HP one and love it then I have a bit of brand bias on display. Dell and Lenovo also do very decent Chromebooks.
    TL.
    Wisdom doesn't necessarily come with age. Sometimes age just shows up all by itself. (Tom Wilson)
    Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships. (Michael Jordan)

Blog Entries
    I sort of forgot Asus, their Flip might be a good option for your intended use and it's discounted at the moment @ £243.99. It's much smaller than I would personally enjoy, but it's more flexible than a pure laptop. Asus laptops have tended ot be pretty solid for me, so I'd recommend them as a brand.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-C101PA.../dp/B073R9CXM2

Don't forget to buy via our Amazon site!
    TL.
    Wisdom doesn't necessarily come with age. Sometimes age just shows up all by itself. (Tom Wilson)
    Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships. (Michael Jordan)

Thanks guys.

I think it's definitely the way forward. I'm trying to kick the old laptop back into life but if that doesn't work, I think we'll go down the chromebook route.

Cheers.
    PEN
    (Formerly: ThePENDRAGON)

Blog Entries
    As long as you go into it acknowledging that it is not a laptop and needs a wireless connection then you'll be fine I think. It's not a replacement for a laptop, but if your intended use intersects with what it does then it is an incredibly cheap way to get the job done well.
    TL.

Thread Information