Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Google Stadia

Nice summary mate.

Seems a lot of people are finding the service lacking, at least for now. Tech has potential, but then this isn't the first time we have seen a promising streaming tech fall by the wayside for one reason or another.

From what I've read, Google has a flop on their hands... but I am aware I tend to read more tech enthusiast stuff and may be missing the opinions of the 'mainstream'. The real question is how long Google sticks with it.. as smilo pointed out they have a habit of abandoning things that aren't going how they had hoped!

I'm keeping my eye on Stadia out of interest, but the reality is it isn't the product for me, at least not in this decade...
    All our Gods have abandoned us.

I am not feeling quite as sceptical as you Ben because the main difference with Stadia for me is it is vastly superior to any previous attempt at the same product and again, in the gaming industry the first few days after launch are normally a train wreck, here with Stadia the product for me is very well crafted MVP, only more good things will be added.

I also like the use case of taking my favourite games with me without a laptop or PC.

On the browser, 8Mbps was the download consumption for Destiny 2. On Chromecast, to my 4K screen, around 10Mbps average. I need to do slightly more careful monitoring to get better results for this but for sure I wasn't seeing high bandwidth. Of course they suggest bandwidth requirements higher than the minimum in order to cover their backs.

Destiny 2 loads actually faster with Stadia over my own pretty decent PC.

Oh and my Destiny 2 game crashing due to an nVidia bug obviously doesn't happen on Stadia.
    Cheers, Bert

Resurrecting this as I've spent all morning playing (crashing) in GRID. It's not the best racing game but on Stadia it's a complete blast. Takes me back to my Sega Saturn/PlayStation 1 days.
    I'm not a twitchy 'every millisecond counts' gamer but I saw zero problems with GRID. it just loaded fast and I was straight into blasting around Tokyo and then immediately into the barrier, so nothing much different from my Megadrive days. If there is latency it's not obvious to me and probably not an issue in arcade style games. FPS shooters and the like, who knows but I'll defiantly be getting some arcade/platformer type games for the new TV.

Quote Originally Posted by smilodon View Post
    Resurrecting this as I've spent all morning playing (crashing) in GRID. It's not the best racing game but on Stadia it's a complete blast. Takes me back to my Sega Saturn/PlayStation 1 days.
    I'm not a twitchy 'every millisecond counts' gamer but I saw zero problems with GRID. it just loaded fast and I was straight into blasting around Tokyo and then immediately into the barrier, so nothing much different from my Megadrive days. If there is latency it's not obvious to me and probably not an issue in arcade style games. FPS shooters and the like, who knows but I'll defiantly be getting some arcade/platformer type games for the new TV.
    I'd say that's a fair assessment, I use it with the same pinch of salt. Certainly it works easily well enough to make it a chill in the lounge solution. I feel with the Steam Link the hassle of booting up and getting it going is greater than just going with Stadia.

I did however try it with my old Win10 tablet and the 2.4GHz wifi is useless, doesn't even connect.

I'm fortunate enough to have the TV and router right next to each other so I use the ethernet connection to connect the Chromecast direct to the router.

Quote Originally Posted by smilodon View Post
    I'm fortunate enough to have the TV and router right next to each other so I use the ethernet connection to connect the Chromecast direct to the router.
    Ideal, cabled is perfect to the Chromecast, and when you use it for 4K even better.
    Cheers, Bert

It's all set up and I'm just watching endless 4k YouTube videos with my jaw on the floor

I probably need to get your missus to talk to my missus about also buying a random 4K TV.
    Cheers, Bert

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information