Thread: Home server

Home server

hey people,
    Got a bit of a question,

I've been trying saving a bit of money and I'm looking to building a home server for storing and sharing files for the family (with some kind of online backup), having some different services running on it (like plex) and a few virtual machines for testing and having fun with different operating systems

I was thinking about making one with a Ryzen CPU due to the "lower" cost with lots of cores and threads or is that a really stupid idea for me to do since that is a gaming CPU and totally overkill and I should try look for a Xeon cpu with ECC for better reliabilty instead? (Would not mind keeping the small fractal design case since it got room for a bit of expansion and decent sound proofing)

Since we got lots of smart people here what are your thoughts? I'm a totaly bonkers doing this?

Will run Windows Server 2016 I think on it since I managed go get a licence a while back when I did some studying.

Thanks for your time!
    Maybe there's something to be said for being different. We are who we are. What more could we ask for?

looks good to me, have fun i run lightsout 3 software: https://www.green-it-software.com/ on my mini server to keep it on when clients are on and backs up the laptops and pcs around the house etc.

Running a DL160 G10 as lab server with vmware, gonna be replaced with KVM when i figure out how to move some of the vmware hosts over
    Contains a few virtual servers atm:
    Ubuntu running Docker with Unifi video and UNMS
    Aruba Airwave
    windows server 2016
    Aruba clearpass policy manager
    GNS3

Running a Dell optiplex 7050 with intel 7500T running plex for the GPU assisted h265 transcoding

Synology NAS for storage and vmware storage target.

Quote Originally Posted by Michelanio View Post
    hey people,
    Got a bit of a question,

I've been trying saving a bit of money and I'm looking to building a home server for storing and sharing files for the family (with some kind of online backup), having some different services running on it (like plex) and a few virtual machines for testing and having fun with different operating systems

I was thinking about making one with a Ryzen CPU due to the "lower" cost with lots of cores and threads or is that a really stupid idea for me to do since that is a gaming CPU and totally overkill and I should try look for a Xeon cpu with ECC for better reliabilty instead? (Would not mind keeping the small fractal design case since it got room for a bit of expansion and decent sound proofing)

Since we got lots of smart people here what are your thoughts? I'm a totaly bonkers doing this?

Will run Windows Server 2016 I think on it since I managed go get a licence a while back when I did some studying.

Thanks for your time!
    Ryzen would be nice for a little home server.
    Just a note, currently a lot of people are having issue with ryzen not throttling down when idle. I see my ryzen doesn't throttled down when idling

Thanks guys I'll look in to perhaps getting the parts after the next pay check Will 2666Mhz memory be ok for the CPU or do I need find some 3200Mhz memory (heard that Ryzen needs faster memory)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunda View Post
    looks good to me, have fun i run lightsout 3 software: https://www.green-it-software.com/ on my mini server to keep it on when clients are on and backs up the laptops and pcs around the house etc.
    Thanks Gunda I'll look in to that software!
    Maybe there's something to be said for being different. We are who we are. What more could we ask for?

I have plenty of fun with different OS's.

My home server is an Intel J1900 (basically an old Atom) with 4 cores @ 2Ghz and 8GB memory and a 512GB SSD.
    https://www.gigabyte.com/uk/Mini-PcB...1900-rev-10#ov

There is no monitor or keyboard attached - it's just plugged intom my router.
    Of course I do have them on standby if an upgrade to the host OS goes wrong (which is pretty rare thankfully).

Primary OS is NetBSD XEN DOM0.
    1st guest is a NetBSD XEN DOMU which powers my website, email, source code repositories.
    2nd guest is also a NetBSD XEN DOMU which is a primarily a package builder for the above two and NetBSD on my Pinebook (ARM64 based netbook)
    The other guests I run are DragonFlyBSD, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, SmartOS, DilOS, Devuan - or more basically 3 BSDs, 2 Solaris and 1 Linux.

For file sharing, I use SFTP because it's an easy setup - I already use certificate based SSH to access all these OS's so it's a no-brainer.
    For Windows, you can get a lot of SFTP clients.

I've had this box now for quite a few years and it's more than man enough for my tasks.
    Quite low powered as well which is important as it's on 24/7. The only real constaint is memory. 8gb is enough to run 7 OS at the same time - admitedly most only have enough to boot and compile my software so I can dedicate 3Gb each to my website and package builder.

What would you do with the raw power a Ryzen based machine offers given the tasks you've listed? Sounds like overkill to me for file sharing and running a streaming service.
    For reference, my website is https://roy.marples.name and serves around 1500 unique visitors per day, 4000 emails per day (mostly spam, ensure you have a good filter!) and a few hundred source code downloads per day.

Thanks for that info and honest comment Twyst!

I'm new to the hardware requirements for servers so unsure how much that is required for stuff so seeing what you use helps a lot!

Perhaps something like this HPE Microserver perhaps is better? (with added SSD for OS and bit more ram) https://www.hpe.com/se/en/product-ca...010930707.html

Certainly a better move.

If anyone wants to dabble in home servers, you can't go wrong with a Raspberry Pi:
    https://thepihut.com/products/raspbe...rc=raspberrypi
    All in the cart, £34 for the Pi, £20 for the extras, total £54.
    It's so tiny it hides very well so doens't upset the wife with bulky ugly boxes magically appearing.

You get an OS to tinker with, but it's NOT powerful enough for hosting guest VM's.
    If that's a deal breaker then the HP unit you linked is probably the better move.

Thread Information