Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Virgin Internet & Crap WIFI

Hi All, hoping you can help.

I've tried searching the forum for anything relating to this and failed.

I've been with Virgin Internet for 3 years+ and for the most I'm happy. All wired connections work without any issues and the service rarely drops, with decent speeds.
    Speed 31.12.2019.JPG

What I'm not happy with is the Hub 3 WiFi.
    I live in a fairly new house, no solid walls but the WiFi drops out regularly in the kitchen and upstairs.
    It also randomly just drops a device (or bunch of devices) that is connected, TV's, Xbox, PS. You can see that they are lost on the "Virgin Media Connect" App.
    Only way to reconnect is a reboot of the Hub box.

I've tried purchasing WiFi extenders, and they improve the signal but are giving the same dropping issues.

I've done a little research and found I could make it modem only and by a better wireless router.
    I'm wary of this just in case it still doesn't reach the far corners of the house.
    The other option is to create a mesh system, something like the BT Whole Home.

My concern is money, I don't want to fork out much more that doesn't fix the issue (already spent £100+ and Xmas skint).

Has anyone else had similar issues with Virgin Hubs and found a work around?

Cheers in advance
    Mick

Hi Mick

I remember having similar issues with Virgin WiFi and it was down to a setting in their router relating to the 2.4GHz service. From memory it was a choice between speed or reliability. Of course I selected speed but when devices started to regularly drop I changed it to reliability and the problems went away.

I've since moved to a Mesh system so I only use the Virgin box as a modem.

Hope this helps.

Remember when I promised to kill you last?…I lied!(arnie-commando)

Thanks Oldie,

Previously tried changing the settings, turned off 5Ghz and only using 2.4. Found a site that recommended other improvements but still no joy.

What Mesh system did you buy and did you still use the LAN ports on the Hub or new device?

Hi Sneaky, got a couple of these, even using the LAN connection can drop.

Quote Originally Posted by smite View Post
    Thanks Oldie,

Previously tried changing the settings, turned off 5Ghz and only using 2.4. Found a site that recommended other improvements but still no joy.

What Mesh system did you buy and did you still use the LAN ports on the Hub or new device?
    I use a Netgear 8-port 1GB switch off of the Virgin Hub (modem mode). I use one of the switch's ports for my BT Mesh (3 white discs). The disc in the lounge has the TV connected to it via ethernet cable which works really well.

I previously splashed out on an Archer C3150 to improve wifi which, compared to Virgin, it did but it doesn't compete with the mesh for coverage.

Currently my Virgin setup is working fine, but in a previous home I had exactly this issue. I never worked out what the issue with the Virgin Gear was but solved it by using the Virgin Hub as a cable modem only as mentioned. I was in a two bedroom flat so didn't need any wifi extenders. I just bought a dMw forum recommended modem and was good to go. This was some years back so I don't think 5 ghz was even a thing back then. I certainly think Oldie has the plan with just ditching Virgins ropey wifi facility.
    smilodon
    --
    Sent from the darkest recesses of a fractured mind, using the power of blood magic.

What speeds do you get wired directly to the Virgin Hub?

Long answer before I re-read your OP:

{{{{{I don't know about Virgin these days as I've been in NL for 6 years but Ziggo and Virigin are both Liberty Global companies. The router config screens are the same (pretty much) so they use the same hardware and software.

I had a similar problem with my wifi when using the Ziggo supplied router.

Basically I was using bridged mode to my 1Gbps router/ switch which then had my access points cabled in at 1Gbps. My top speed was 40Mbps. I switched back to routed mode, jumped up to 240Mbps which is the contracted max.

I suggest checking the devices connected, custom config like bridged mode and power line conenctors for strange things. Try and start at the router just a laptop then work outwards.
    }}}}}

Most hardware supplied by ISP's is just cheap crap. Virgin especially. the SH3 has lots of known issues from the WiFi performance to Puma chip processing of packets.

As stated above the best thing to do on virgin is put the SH3 into modem only mode and buy a decent router.

My SH3 has managed well over the past year and a half or so. The only problems I had with the router was when it required a reboot in order to apply firmware updates and without those updates it had become unreliable. Having said that, I have actually bought another wifi router to replace it but that was mainly because I wanted to run a VPN.

I was curious about this comment:
    even using the LAN connection can drop
    ...if the internet connection is dropping over Ethernet (and you've ruled out weird devices like Albert suggested) then that sounds like a problem with your connection in general?

Virgin's phone support is a pain to connect to but it might be worth a try in case it is your SH3 and Virgin can replace it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information