Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: keep folding

Whehey!

I'm dMw Top 3! Passing 41 million.
    Most likely the first and last thing I will reach top 3 at... ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by vobler View Post
    Whehey!

I'm dMw Top 3! Passing 41 million.
    Most likely the first and last thing I will reach top 3 at... ;-)
    Top folding, Sir

Blog Entries
    Well done Vobler, another podium! I doubt anyone of us is going to catch Wordan though, I think he had a few Cray supercomputers working for him!
    TL.
    Wisdom doesn't necessarily come with age. Sometimes age just shows up all by itself. (Tom Wilson)
    Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships. (Michael Jordan)

Hello all,

I want to talk to you a little bit about folding again.

I have not been folding much for half a year now, but have started up again a few weeks ago. Just as I write this I am passing 100 million points.

I have a few tips I want to share that could help others to use their PC's for this kind of work.

The main problems I had with folding was that the computer generated too much heat in a small room when folding 24-7.

To remedy this I found out that there is no need to fold on the CPU. If you have a NVIDIA graphic card (not sure about AMD), You can fold very well without using the CPU. This cools down the PC a lot and keeps the fan noise much lower. It also makes the PC much more responsive when using it for general tasks when folding. In the Advanced folding Client under Configure, Slots, Folding slot, just delete the cpu entry.

The other thing I do, is to use a GPU Management software to reduce the power usage and clock speed on the GPU. With my computer I got a program called Asus GPU Tweak that I use for this. I have made a special profile that reduces the clock speed and the power consumption on the GPU to a setting that does not increase the heat in the room. By using different profiles I can adjust the temp in the room by selecting the best profile for the outside temp. So there is no need for other heating in my room. It is completely "folding heated" :-)

This way it is easy to change between gaming and folding. When I want to start MSFS or Star Citizen I click Pause in the folding client, Click the Game Mode profile in the GPU Tweak software and start the game. When I am finished gaming I press Fold in the folding client and select the user folding profile in the GPU tweak software.

Using this setup I currently fold about 500000 points per day, and I wish more would try to use a similar method to be able to fold more. There is still a lot of work needed on many diseases.

Thanks

vobler

Council
    Encouraged me to fire it back up, cheers

That is great smilo, keep going!

But we would of course prefere if you where folding for Dead Men Folding (33597).

Wouldn't it be great if we could climb in to the top 1000 folding teams in the world?
    Currently around 1315

Thanks

Thanks Vobler, same as Smilo, back on it, Medium power use on Idle, GPU only, -40% max GPU power.

Quote Originally Posted by albert View Post
    Thanks Vobler, same as Smilo, back on it, Medium power use on Idle, GPU only, -40% max GPU power.
    Great! Same as my setup.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information