Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries
    Wow

Great write up mate, love it keep them coming!!

"It's hard, but not as hard as Arma!!!" Tutonic
    "This game is horribly broken" Oldbloke
    "Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil... prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon.." Terry Pratchetts

Thoroughly enjoyed reading that, Deetzy

I'd have loved to be able to go back and fix the broken sentences, corrected the multiple spelling mistake and grammar etc.
    I should really have stuck though a word processor before posting. It could have waited a day, instead of posting knackered at 1am.

dMrDeetz is currently :

Thumbs up

Don't worry, it's grand!

Very nice report...and a podium

Glad to hear you had a break through with the TC and how it was affecting your pace!

For those interested. Video of the top split races.

Reound 1 Zolder: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbnvXhIkDLU

Reound 2 Misano: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alZHcJbHMoY

The top guys are simply Aliens.

Deetz
    dMrDeetz is currently :

Blog Entries
    Great write up Deetz and the videos are 'alien', agreed! Makes me regret not being able to find my wheel and pedals (a garage can swallow and hide an amazong amount of stuff).
    TL.
    Wisdom doesn't necessarily come with age. Sometimes age just shows up all by itself. (Tom Wilson)
    Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships. (Michael Jordan)

Interlude. -------Insert soothing music here------

In complete contrast to the usual mad, extreme stress Sprint Cup races. Yesterday I indulged in a 1 hour GT4 race at Bathurst entitled: “GT4 Madness”

Thankfully it wasn’t ‘Madness’ in reality.

I hadn’t entered, but on the day of the race, my brother who had entered, let me know that a number of places had become available. So when I got home from work, I checked to see if there were any places still remaining, and there were. A single driver slot was available in splits 2, 3 and 4. After checking with my brother to see which split he was in, I nabbed the last slot in split 2.

No practice, I just turned up at server session start. (though I had previously driven stints at Bathurst (love it) in the Mercedes AMG GT4, which is my GT4 weapon of choice.

A 15 min practice session, a 15 minute qualifying session, then the 1 hour race. Starting in the early morning dawn, where it was still fairly dark. (6am if I remember correctly.)
    In the cold (for Bathurst) 19 degrees or so temps, it takes 3 - 4 laps to get the tyres fully up to temp, So practice was about finding the correct tyre pressures to use for the race.

Qualifying went well, a 2:13.0 lap. (Matching my PB) I could have gone quicker, I was on a better lap up about 0.25 - 0.3 when I caught a slower car ahead. I didn’t want to jeopardise his hot-lap, so I had to be happy with the lap I’d already done.
    You’ve got to be happy with 5th place. (Of 35) The pole sitter did a 2:11. 9 or so, I wasn’t going to be matching that any time soon. Though it looks like the Merc is particularly quick round Mt. Panorama, as there were a number of them at the top of the field.
    My brothers weapon of choice is the BMW, with which he qualified 13th.

The race, ahhh the race. So many great comparisons to the old LFS 1 hour races of old. Tyre grip / wear variations, car balance changes, it was really good fun.

I made a fair start, holding position, out dragging a Ginetta on the run up Mountain straight, then some conservative running holding my 5th place, gradually heating those tyres up. Then on lap 3 I made a mistake as I started to push. On the approach to the dipper the back end let go, and I crunched into the wall, left side, then right, collecting some damage and letting the Ginetta through. I was then under pressure on the run down Conrod straight, so I kept to the left protecting the line into the chase, but out braked myself, doh. A trip through the booneys ensued, and another 4 places lost. Damn it.

Ok, head down, wait for the tyres to normalise, get back to consistent running.
    I cought and started applying pressure to an Audi ahead, which forced him into a mistake, and he run’s wide. That’s 9th place.

Next to catch is another Merc, which is running well. But I’m catching as he is being slightly held up by a BMW. So I'm on his tail and applying pressure, He makes a mistake on the exit of turn one, and I’m through to 8th great. I’m now on that BMW ahead, but am not quite quick enough to challenge for position. Then the Merc behind gets a good exit from the final turn, and makes a dive on the inside into turn1. I have to leave room, and he’s back in front again.

Gaa, back to the drawing board.

Then as we battle, a another, different Merc ahead slams into the wall in the outside of the cutting. The BMW ahead sneaks by, then both me and the guy I’m battling both get through later in the lap, And that’s 8th

I then spent the next few laps, trying to re-pass, with the odd half chance here and there, I’m applying lots of pressure. Everyone is well into their rhythms now.
    Then the Merc ahead again makes a mistake running wide on at turn 1 and I’m back in front again. 7th.

The tyre grip is degrading and I pull away a little over the next few laps, with the car balance changing as well. Slightly earlier braking required pretty much everywhere. Again the race settles for a while. I’m slowly gapping the car behind, and am holding station with a Ginetta ahead.

My brother tells me that his BMW balance is now excellent with the car in a purple patch, loosing it’s mild push and becoming more neutral.

A few more laps, and the Ginetta is quite obviously in tyre trouble, his consistency is gone, and I quickly catch and pass.
    That’s 6th place, I’ve nearly made up for my early mistakes. Then (another) Merc ahead pits, Yes…. Back to my starting position 5th.

This is where my progress ends. I hold station in 5th for the remaining 12 laps to the finish. The Ginetta behind holding station, then loosing another position, nearly falling into my brothers cluches.

What a fantastic race. It’s great to run in a pack of cars dicing for position, the track / car throwing in grip and balance changes for good measure.

My brother finished in 8th. The car balance shifting again, getting more taily as the race went on, but nothing too excessive.

dMrDeetz is currently :

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information