Blog Entries

Thumbs down Huawei - this might make you think

If this story is correct then not only have Huawei lied, but what they have done is despicable.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-55634388

I've added Huawei to my list of companies from whom I would never purchase.
    TL.
    Wisdom doesn't necessarily come with age. Sometimes age just shows up all by itself. (Tom Wilson)
    Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships. (Michael Jordan)

Apart from it being labelled as a "new patent" being able to auto profile people by race is not too surprising to me. Being able to achieve it down to this level is next gen.

Its what you do with the data after. That's the scary bit.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JonnyAppleSeed View Post
    Apart from it being labelled as a "new patent" being able to auto profile people by race is not too surprising to me. Being able to achieve it down to this level is next gen.

Its what you do with the data after. That's the scary bit.
    Agreed, the technology is unsurprising. But the specific use of the technology in China is very worrying.

Quote Originally Posted by Maya Wang, Human Rights Watch
    One technical requirement of the Chinese Ministry of Public Security's video-surveillance networks is the detection of ethnicity - particularly of Uighurs. While in the rest of the world, such targeting and persecution of a people on the basis of their ethnicity would be completely unacceptable, the persecution and severe discrimination of Uighurs in many aspects of life in China remain unchallenged because Uighurs have no power in China.
    So China persecutes Uighurs (amongst others).
    Hauwei have previously declared that none of their technology was designed to capture ethnic groups.
    Yet we find that a Huawei patent mentions the specific aim of ethnic identification of Uighurs (amongst others) and requires permission from the China National Intellectual Property Administration to change the patent wording.

Given China's record of persecution of the Ughuir nation, it does not seem likely that they Huawei are innocent and doing nothing for or with the Chinese security services. This type of news flies in the face of the millions that Huawei have recently spent during the 5G debacle arguing that they are nothing to do with and do not work under the instruction of or for the Chinese government and so they are not a security risk to other nations. The patent seems to say otherwise, as do similar disclosures for other Chinese firms like Sensetime and Megvii.

As a result, I now place far less weight on the Huawei "I'm independent" claim.
    TL.
    Wisdom doesn't necessarily come with age. Sometimes age just shows up all by itself. (Tom Wilson)
    Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships. (Michael Jordan)

Thread Information