Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries
    I is also waiting but mainly for cold hard cash

"It's hard, but not as hard as Arma!!!" Tutonic
    "This game is horribly broken" Oldbloke
    "Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil... prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon.." Terry Pratchetts

My machine has i5-9300H, GTX 1650 , 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, 1 TB HDD

But I don't play any AAA titles that were released after 2018...

EDIT: More depressingly I only bought it 6 months ago...

I have an i7-2700k 16GB RAM 4 x 256GB and GTX970. Its proper ancient but I never have any gaming issues. I mostly only play multiplayer games though.

Quote Originally Posted by A Twig View Post
    My machine has i5-9300H, GTX 1650 , 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, 1 TB HDD

But I don't play any AAA titles that were released after 2018...

EDIT: More depressingly I only bought it 6 months ago...
    how does yours run ARMA? mine runs it horribly must have the wrong settings

It runs ok, medium to low settings on most things and keeping view distances below 3000 seems to work.

I took the approach of setting everything to off / low then gradually adding back in until I got to a playable state, I haven't "pushed it". I'm thinking about a RAM upgrade in April to be honest, can fit another 8GB in here

Blog Entries
    A RAM upgrade sounds like a sensible move. 16GB is generally seen as the sweet spot, 8GB is workable but it gets very tight at times. Little benefit in going beyond 16GB unless you have specific needs. The only thing to ocnsider is if you are going to do a CPU upgrade in the near future - if you are then you'll be needing a new motherboard and new RAM anyway, so it might be worth saving the RAM upgrade money and putting it towards a CPU/mobo/RAM bundle instead.
    TL.
    Wisdom doesn't necessarily come with age. Sometimes age just shows up all by itself. (Tom Wilson)
    Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships. (Michael Jordan)

Cheers TL. It's a "gaming laptop" and a couple of hours of Sunday evening Arma is about as much of a workout as it gets - with small child to look after and a wife frantically studying every evening to try and pick up a post maternity career, I don't get the time to do much else. So yeah max RAM and then run it into the ground.

To be honest it is the first gaming machine I've had since 2010, so there are a lot of old titles that are on my wishlist to play, all the "Adam" Deus Ex, FarCry 2 onwards, etc etc so suspect that will keep me going until 2030! I don't think I ever got round to completing Half Life 2 to be honest either! Will gladly take recommendations of "titles I might have missed since 2010 that I really should play"

Well after a drunken journey to Mr Memory on payday, DPD delivering this morning and 20 mins twirling teeny screwdrivers this evening I now have 32GB of RAM! Huge difference! Will look forward to seeing what effect it has in ARMA next week

Quote Originally Posted by A Twig View Post
    Well after a drunken journey to Mr Memory on payday, DPD delivering this morning and 20 mins twirling teeny screwdrivers this evening I now have 32GB of RAM! Huge difference! Will look forward to seeing what effect it has in ARMA next week
    Its when you play it and go " If only id bought 64gb!"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information