Blog Entries

Thumbs up Keg Beer at Home

Been looking at these for a while and decided to take the plunge and try one. Dex and I now have a Philips PerfectDraft to try.

PD-Landing-page-image_2.png

It's been real simple to set up and the range of kegs available seems really nice with 53 different beers from which to choose. Chilling the keg in the fridge is essential or you face a long wait 12-15 hour wait to get an unchilled keg down to the ideal 3 degrees centigrade serving temperature. The machine was very simple to set up and runs silent to my ear. I got a Hoegaarden and a Tiny Rebel Clwb Tropicana to try. Currently sipping on the Clwb Tropicana and very nice it is too.

Kegs are about £31 per 6 litre keg, which is about £2.94 per pint. That seems expensive, but if you buy 3 kegs at the same time you get 10% off and free delivery, plus when you return the empty keg (no charge) they give you £5 credit for another keg. So on average that reduces the price to about £2.17 per pint. You can easily beat this price by buying a bunch of cans at the supermarket, but it might be difficult to find some of the 53 beers depending on where you shop. In addition the poured pint seems to taste a heck of a sight better from the keg than a can. Something that surprised me, I found I really valued the convenience of having it already chilled and poured to the volume you want (rather than the fixed size of a can). It is great to just be able to pour a half-pint when that's all you want.

So far very impressed.

Value per pint 7/10
    Convenience & taste 10/10
    TL.
    Wisdom doesn't necessarily come with age. Sometimes age just shows up all by itself. (Tom Wilson)
    Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships. (Michael Jordan)

Blog Entries
    Pics with Steins or it didn't happen

"It's hard, but not as hard as Arma!!!" Tutonic
    "This game is horribly broken" Oldbloke
    "Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil... prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon.." Terry Pratchetts

Blog Entries
    Picture of the PerfectDraft along with the two courtesy Beerhawk glasses filled with 3oC Clwb Tropicana *and* the limited edition 'dMw 15th Anniversary' stein. (I only have the one stein, so can't do 'steins'!)

PXL_20210729_161950908-2.jpg

Dex and I are now drinking the aforementioned evidence......
    TL.
    Wisdom doesn't necessarily come with age. Sometimes age just shows up all by itself. (Tom Wilson)
    Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships. (Michael Jordan)

Blog Entries
    Does look very cool great work mate

"It's hard, but not as hard as Arma!!!" Tutonic
    "This game is horribly broken" Oldbloke
    "Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil... prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon.." Terry Pratchetts

My turn to be jealous!

Pesteh has one of these and is always banging on about perfectly chilled draft beer.. the devil.

Eventually I might get one too... but then again that money could go towards more headphones!

Cheers!
    All our Gods have abandoned us.

I've got a spirits version of this.......alright, it's the water dispenser on my fridge filled with Vodka but needs must.

Two months into sobriety - really shouldn't have opened this thread

Thread Information